carb parts id

whale
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

carb parts id

Post by whale »

I have tried to post this before with no luck. Is there any way to if or find out what needles and jets are stock for our bikes .Years 79 thru 82.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: carb parts id

Post by NobleHops »

Is that not in the manuals?

Will PM you a link to a members-only resource: full high quality scans of the shop manuals, with all text searchable. Have a look and see what you find in there.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Did you try a search? Dozens of topics come up if you enter the text "jet size".

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... ze&start=0
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The needles are stamped by Keihin with a code for that needle. The '79 needles are one code and the '80-'82s are a different code. You will not be able to match up these numbers with any aftermarket numbers. I worked with Sirius in Canada to straighten out a miss-match they had for a while in their '80-'82 carb rebuild kits. The needles they supplied were far too lean for the CBX, but I never used them since the stock ones are never a problem to clean and re-use. I supplied Sirius the Keihin codes for both styles and they got much closer to stock profiles with subsequent kits. They must have a proprietary way to cross-reference the stock Keihin needles to their aftermarket supplier's numbers. They even sent me a whole box of correct replacements for kits I had that had bad ones.

I can get you Keihin's numbers from both early and late needles, but I'm not sure what good it'll do you.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”