My '82 Carb Cleaning 1st time

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

My '82 Carb Cleaning 1st time

Post by cross »

IMG_2745sm.jpg
Well, carbs came off yesterday which did not take that long considering it was my 1st time.
Checked Accel. pump as they still had fuel in them, not all squirted the same amount and #1 did not squirt at all so i though that maybe fuel bowl was empty.
Started taking them apart, lining up all the items. Fuel bowl gaskets are in bad shape, deteriorated and who ever cleaned them last used some type of sealant so they don't leak i guess. there were a lot of small black pieces from the gasket in #6 carb but not so much in the others and some in the fuel passage which i guess got there when i flipped carbs over to take the bowls off. Two of the bowl screws were so tight that i had to use locking grip pliers to loosen them.
#5 carb has some damage on the edges of inlet (air box side), "what the hell happened to it" anyway, i don't think that it is very critical and it should not affect anything, at least i'm hoping so.
So i cleaned the carbs with berrymans, made sure that all passages are clear. Accelerator valve passages took almost half a can to clear. #1 was completely clogged and the others did not have as strong flow on all. After a while they all squirt the same amount and at the same strength.
All jets were cleaned with carb cleaner and also a piece of wire. Floats are in good shape and so are needles.
Jets are at stock size, 35, 105, A55 and i'm running DG 6-1 exhaust with very tired and gray K&N filter.
I ordered carb kit from Randakk today so it will give me little more time to give carbs another pass with carb cleaner and sort the rest of the stuff.
I do have few questions if someone would like to chime in
I'm thinking of going back to paper filter but is the jetting correct for this pipe?
1. Jets were very tight, is this the way they are suppose to be?
2. Is there suppose to be sealant/silicone on the new rubber gaskets before bowl covers are assembled back?
3. Is there a way to adjust float bowls with out honda special tool?
4. Air box rubber booths, they seem to be one piece with the box, does this mean we have to buy whole air box?
5. Choke link at the carbs was held together with a zip tie, how is it suppose to be held together?
6. Why are pictures always added as last one first? My pics are in reverse order than i added them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: My '82 Carb Cleaning 1st time

Post by daves79x »

OK - kind of quickly:

I'd use a paper Honda filter and if the carbs are clean, should be jetted about right. You can shim the needle .020 inch. Expect a bit of a flat spot at about 5000 rpm with the DG - you can't jet it out.

Jets should be just snug

Bowl gaskets installed dry

Hold carbs level with float installed. Gently lift it up until it JUST TOUCHES the tip (little plunger) on the float valve. Do not depress the plunger. At this point the float chamber should be roughly parallel to the carb body edge above it. Perfect is just a SLIGHT bit higher than level, but level will do.

If your boots are torn, the airbox is usually sold as one piece, but have seen ebayers separate them. You do need the late model ones however.

Choke shafts are held together with just spring pressure. Cut off the tie and separate the springs. Bend them for more pre-load, then hook them together again. That's it. Your choke lever above the spring link is also badly bent to the left. It should be straight back, so it aligns with the cable stay above it. Careful bending it.

Can't say about the pics - mine do the same thing.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Hi Dave,

Not sure if its quick or not but i spent about 6-7 hours yestarday.
It was mostly disasembly and i had first pass on the carbs and jets. Today i did 2nd pass and carbs, still more of that black stuff coming out, tiny bit though.
I alse did 2nd pass on jets and cleaned bowls.
I ordered carb kit today and i'll have plenty time before i receive them to study how to put it back together and the measuring of the floats and also choke situation.
Carb bolws came out mostly clean with just a dab of yellow spotting, what can i clean this with?
Is it safe to blow air from the compressor through the passages?
From the picture, do my airboix boots look ok? One looks a bit out of shape on one side.
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, compressed air is a must - 100lbs if you have it, and a rubber-tipped nozzle. Use strong detergent (I use Marine Clean from POR 15) to clean all the carb parts. Your airbox boot was pinched last time someone had the carbs off. Be careful when installing it and be sure all are on the carb bells properly before tightening the clamps.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

So I've spent some time today with 2nd round of cleaning with carb cleaner and compressed air and have assembled what I could until I get the kit tomorrow.
I also inspected air box boots and found few holes that apear to be from a screwdriver.
I'm wondering if I could repair it with inner tube repair patches.
When I measure the height of the floats, where do I measure 15.5mm, at the tip, middle or in the back by the hinge/pin?
If I let it drop until valve closes, the tip of it is higher and it seems to be different on all of them.
Nixons booklets says to keep carbs right side up when measuring.
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not much more to say about the floats is what I said in my first reply - go over that again and follow those instructions - don't worry about where you measure - you won't have to if you do it the way I described. The tab on the float can be bent to adjust all floats to level.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sasha:

The boots can be separated from the airbox and you may be able to find replacements (maybe from Louis) if someone sells a set separate from the box. It looks like on your set someone has added some adhesive and they may come off a little difficult.

Look at this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBX-AIR-C ... _25wt_1124

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

That wintergreen soak I recently posted will restore both the airbox snorkels and the carb insulators, making them tons easier to install and much more likely to seal when you reassemble.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Are those airbox boots same for all years of CBX?
Fuel mixture adjusters should be at 1 1/4 turn as a starting point by the book, is this correct?

Thanks Guys
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cross wrote:Are those airbox boots same for all years of CBX?
Fuel mixture adjusters should be at 1 1/4 turn as a starting point by the book, is this correct?

Thanks Guys
I think the boots are the same, but it is difficult to say for sure as Honda never sold them seperately and there is no part-number to compare. I think the only difference is the location in the airbox. They sit slightly lower in the 81/82.

The air screws are fine at 1¼ to start with. Some say 1½ or even 2 shouldn't be a problem.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I've actually repaired them. not leaking air anymore. I'll have to see how they hold up.
Kit from Randakk arrived and carbs ar back together. I would like to pilich up tops a bit more and will have them installed tomorrow.
I can't wait!
:text-thankyouyellow:
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cross wrote:I've actually repaired them. not leaking air anymore. I'll have to see how they hold up.
Kit from Randakk arrived and carbs ar back together. I would like to pilich up tops a bit more and will have them installed tomorrow.
I can't wait!
:text-thankyouyellow:
If it is not too late. make sure you keep a record where the tops came from. I heard once - don't remember where - that the tops should not be switched from one carb to the other and have always followed that rule.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I've done dozens of carbs and never kept track of where tops go - you can't when you're doing a bunch - just to tedious. Never had a problem as long as I cleaned the tower on the slide and receptacle in the dome completely. Don't worry about it - just put your best ones on the outside.

Make sure you wet test the carbs for several hours before installing.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

daves79x wrote:
I've done dozens of carbs and never kept track of where tops go - you can't when you're doing a bunch - just to tedious. Never had a problem as long as I cleaned the tower on the slide and receptacle in the dome completely. Don't worry about it - just put your best ones on the outside.

Make sure you wet test the carbs for several hours before installing.

Dave
Sounds like a voice of experience there Dave. :lol: I know what you mean as far as keeping track of them. I have boughten a few carbs in pieces in boxes and assembled them and they came out fine. I think the main thing is to make sure the slide operates smoothly and you are good to go.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I was just too curious why I do and remember things that aren't really important, so I tried to dug into why I am doing these things that waste my time and who told me to.
Turns out, Mike Nixon in his carb service booklet says on page 3 :
Remove each top and spring. Keep them together
and
Remove the slides, keeping them in order also
I agree, if you do a bunch of carbs at the same time, it becomes difficult to keep the pieces together, but I would think most of us do just one set at any time.
And lining all parts up after disassembly as Mike shows in a picture on page 11 helps me a lot to keep track of everything.
It may indeed not be important, but I will keep doing it. You all do what you think works best for each of you. :thumupp:

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”