I need a carb !!

dz-vintage
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I need a carb !!

Post by dz-vintage »

Hello,
I finally purchased a '79 CBX1000. While it has a few miner issues it is quite nice and complete. I've been addressing a few of the issues one of which is a leaking carb. I removed the bowl and cleaned the needle and seat, and adjusted the float. Now I have another issue...I broke one of the float supports clean off while tightening the seat. First time that has ever happened to me. I've done many carbs in my life and never did this. Anyway I am now in need of a single carb for my bike. Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with? If so please contact me dlzartman@verizon.net . Also this bike is hard to start. It just cranks and cranks. If I spray some starting fluid across the carbs ( it has pods no air box ) she'll fire right up. The bike idles great and revs nicely. I haven't ridden it yet as the brakes were partially locked. Got them working properly and was hoping to take her around the block after stopping the carb leak. Well here I am, stuck. Please someone help.
Thank you

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: I need a carb !!

Post by Rick Pope »

Randakk has a kit to fix the posts on Gold Wing carbs. I would imagine it would work here as well.

I fixed one once by drilling a small hole in the broken post, both sides, and pinning it with a little J-B Weld as bonding agent. I used a brass rod, slightly smaller than the holes I drilled. Crude, but it worked. By using a smaller rod than the hole, you allow for some mis-alignment.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

email sent

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I like that, Rick. Works for me. Those posts don't carry any load.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

Rick Pope wrote:Randakk has a kit to fix the posts on Gold Wing carbs. I would imagine it would work here as well.

I fixed one once by drilling a small hole in the broken post, both sides, and pinning it with a little J-B Weld as bonding agent. I used a brass rod, slightly smaller than the holes I drilled. Crude, but it worked. By using a smaller rod than the hole, you allow for some mis-alignment.
True, but we actually have a CBX-specific version of the float post repair kit:

http://randakks.com/collections/honda-c ... repair-kit
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Founder & Chief Executive Rider
Randakk's Cycle Shakk, LLC
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Ask and ye shall receive!! Thanks for the note and service, Randall.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”