Choke

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Choke

Post by Littleeagle28 »

Hi

Have removed my carbs to clean, and found left side of choke butterfly not operating, and a spring seems to be unattached, how do I reattached it? It's in a tight position and can't really see what's going on, any clues would help a newbie here?
Ta

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Choke

Post by daves79x »

It's tough to talk someone through reattaching that spring, let alone trying to write it. You really should separate the carb halves to do it, but the easiest way to tell you is that it's a mirror image of the other side. Look closely how the other side is attached and that's how you do the other one.

I'd also examine everything there closely - there's some reason the spring came loose - they just don't pop off.

Dave

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

daves79x wrote:It's tough to talk someone through reattaching that spring, let alone trying to write it. You really should separate the carb halves to do it, but the easiest way to tell you is that it's a mirror image of the other side. Look closely how the other side is attached and that's how you do the other one.

I'd also examine everything there closely - there's some reason the spring came loose - they just don't pop off.

Dave
Thanks Dave

It may have popped off with me turning the carbs around to clean them. I have now managed to locate it on a spindle, even though I still couldn't see the mirror version. It now operates properly. Now just need to pretend to know what I am doing to clean the carbs
Ta
Arnie

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Arnie, hopefully you have the Mike Nixon carb cleaning manual?
The best money i have spent on my CBX.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... knook.html

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Arnie, hopefully you have the Mike Nixon carb cleaning manual?
The best money i have spent on my CBX.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... knook.html
Thanks Steve, I have considered this but cost to send to the Uk seems to double the cost of the booklet, is their an online version at all?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Littleeagle28 wrote: Thanks Steve, I have considered this but cost to send to the Uk seems to double the cost of the booklet, is their an online version at all?
Now, Arnie, I know the U.S. Post office has gotten ridiculous when it comes to shipping stuff out of the country. But this is a book. It sells for around $35.- and I can send it to Europe for around $8.-
What cost have you been quoted?
I would be happy to help you out here. It is definitely worth it.
Not only does Mike Nixon know what he is talking about, he can also put that in a form others understand. Including nice, clear pictures, not photocopied crap!

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Mike Nixon posted a tutorial on You Tube for this.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

EMS wrote:
Littleeagle28 wrote: Thanks Steve, I have considered this but cost to send to the Uk seems to double the cost of the booklet, is their an online version at all?
Now, Arnie, I know the U.S. Post office has gotten ridiculous when it comes to shipping stuff out of the country. But this is a book. It sells for around $35.- and I can send it to Europe for around $8.-
What cost have you been quoted?
I would be happy to help you out here. It is definitely worth it.
Not only does Mike Nixon know what he is talking about, he can also put that in a form others understand. Including nice, clear pictures, not photocopied crap!

It's not my fault! :-). About a year ago USPS nearly doubled Priority Flat Rate to the UK to $24 and any other ship method takes so long, well, even Priority takes a week to the UK. Other methods take so long folks inevitably start emailing and calling me when they haven't yet seen their bookets after three weeks and they don't usually arrive til four!

The sad truth is USPS Priority Mail has in today's world taken the place of the regular mail we used to rely on so much. In other words it is the new standard and in most cases is good service.

People ask about pdf files all the time, and I understand completely. However, from the outset I examined ways to offer the booklets electronically, and my findings were that no solution offered one hundred percent security.

neilx7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by neilx7 »

Hi,
i bought a the full carb repair kit and mikes carb service book from the USA cost £124 incl shipping. (book is ace)
but still got a bill for vat £20 and uk post office admin charge £9, and they didn't deliver them, just put a card through my door saying it cost £29 and i have to pay at delivery office cash only. :violin:

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

Yes. I know. And I am sorry about that. I wonder how long it will be before we in the states are blackmailed for our shipments the way folks in other countries are. I frequently have folks ask me to falsify customs docs for them, which I would like to do but can't reconcile with my faith. I usually offer a discount as the best I can do, along with carefully packing and marking per the destination country's requirements. Thank you for the kind words by the way.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike Nixon wrote: I frequently have folks ask me to falsify customs docs for them, which I would like to do but can't reconcile with my faith. .

Do you consider checking the "GIFT" box in the merchandise section of the customs form "falsifying", Mike? Consider charging for copyright and handling and sending the book itself as a gift.

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

Just wanted to say thank you to mike for both making a video to show me how to replace the choke spring, then putting it on his shop, and for the booklet which my wife bought me for Christmas. I have now cleaned and assembled the carbs, lots of grunting involved, and am looking forward to trying to start her up again.

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

Littleeagle28 wrote:Just wanted to say thank you to mike for both making a video to show me how to replace the choke spring, then putting it on his shop, and for the booklet which my wife bought me for Christmas. I have now cleaned and assembled the carbs, lots of grunting involved, and am looking forward to trying to start her up again.
Started her today, after finding some wires not connected it fired up. Unfortunately I have the exact same issue that made me clean the carbs I. E No 3 & 6 cylinder not firing.

Checked spark plugs for spark both ok.
Swapped plugs for the known good ones anyway, just in case.
Both plugs are wet.
Compression in both cylinders, No 3 has approx90psi, and No 6 ha around 70psi.

I noticed at one time they both seemed to work at one point then failed again.

Anybody experienced this before?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

3 And 6 not connected electrically. Are you sure the plugs are not firing at any speed (do the headpipes warm at all when you rev the bike higher than idle?). Are you sure you got all the wires connected properly (2 not reversed), if you had them out of the connectors. Maybe you have spark, but not at the right time?

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”