Carb Balancing

C Shores

Laser Thermometer ?

Post by C Shores »

Can you tell me the make , model asnd where you purchased the laser thermometer ? What about an infrared thermometer ?

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

Sure,

I borrowed the Infrared Laser Thermometer from work to do this just to see if it would work and at this point with about 750 miles on this setup on my 81 i can say that it really seems to work but I caution you in that it is easy to focus on equalizing the cylinders and forget about the overall mixture settings which should still be close to whats optimum. I set mine by reducing the mixture until that cylinder stumbles and then back off about 1/4 turn, with the laser thermometer the center cylinders are about 3/8-1/2 turn richer on both my 80 and 81 so maybe there is a pattern to be followed, more data is needed to make that judgement though. The type thermometer that I used is a Ratek I believe but I'll look tomorrow and if it's different I let you know. I was looking at them at Sears and am going to buy one for myself as soon as I can screw up the courage to go to one of the malls and since that's a 25-30 mile drive in any direction who knows when. I hope to get the 80 out of the basement today and prepped because it's been real nice this week and I'm going on a dinner ride Thursday with the folks at my brothers work and there's been a request that I bring the 80 plus my brother just bought a new 1800 VTX and I think he's feeling froggy, could be fun. :D :P :roll: :shock:

Steve P #5220

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”