Cylinder Jetting:

petcelman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Cylinder Jetting:

Post by petcelman »

I am new to CBX's and this club but am an old hand at mechanical stuff (37 years as a tech or shop owner) I have a 5 gas analyzer and built a set of header pipes with O2 sensor ports. When I run the engine and observe the O2 readings I am getting approx the same readings. Should I jet the inner cylinders a bit more rich to help with heat reduction? We get some heat during the summer. Rich = cooler combustion temps. Is it worth the hassle?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Cylinder Jetting:

Post by daves79x »

Welcome to the forum and club! As to your question - I've never heard of jetting middle carbs richer on the CBX - but understand your concern. These do run hot, especially in hot weather. My best advice would be to avoid prolonged idling in extreme heat at any cost - over time this weakens rings and hardens all rubber components in and near the engine. Synthetic oil wil help also, if your starter clutch tolerates it.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

A larger oil cooler may also be a remedy. Depending on what model you have, you may also see a slight improvement by installing the front fender with the air spoiler from a later model or a an "F", which will improve air flow to the inner cyclinders. Not much, but every little bit helps.

petcelman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by petcelman »

I had heard the engines have a heating issue when idling in warm weather. I live in an area that doesn't have mush traffic so I don't anticipate any extended idle time but thanks for the feedback.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”