1979 carb tuning

Dennis Goodenough
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1979 carb tuning

Post by Dennis Goodenough »

Looking for some one in my area who can tune my carbs they have just been rebuilt. Can't tell you the trouble I've had finding some one who knows what the !X?%* they are doing. Am willing to bring the bike to the right mechanic if it's not too much of a trip.

HELP PLEASE! and thank you Dennis in Janesville, Wis. 608-751-1575

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1979 carb tuning

Post by NobleHops »

Sorry I can't help, but welcome all the same Dennis!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Welcome!

You don't really need to bring the bike anywhere. Just send the carbs to either Mike or Dave and when you get them back, you can just stick them on the bike and ride - No further adjustments necessary

You may have 'rebuilt' them, but my guess is that they're not really clean inside and that's probably why it's not running well. If you read up on the subject here, you'll find all sorts of guys who had to take them off the bike and re-clean them 3 or 4 different times before they got them right

Don

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Almost Don, they will still need to be synced on the bike.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I had a nice conversation with Dennis the other day. He has had the carburetors ultrasonically cleaned, but the low speed jets were not removed. Based on his description of how it runs, I told him that the low speed jets might need to be removed and cleaned. I think he is capable of doing that. His main need is to find someone who can help him with synchronization. He would like to not have to take the carburetors off any more times than is necessary. Hopefully, there may be someone near Janesville who can help.

Dennis, you have found the right place. Hopefully, someone will be able to help.
SCH Rochester, MN

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Dennis, I just looked at a map, and it appears that Janesville, being at the southernmost end of the state, is not that far from Michigan. There is a guy that mostly lurks here named J.R. Luksik, aka cbx-tras. If you send him a private message (aka a "PM"), I'd bet he gets right back to you. He's very near Detroit, roughly 400 miles from you so no exactly in your back yard, but if you really want someone that knows what he's doing, he's a fine choice.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mike Nixon wrote:New resource on syncing. :-)

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... b_sync.swf
Thanks for the link, Mike.

Dennis Goodenough

Post by Dennis Goodenough »

Thanx to all for your help. Just opened my mail. (finding it hard to navigate this site) Broke down and baught the stuff I need to synch my own carbs. Wish me luck.

To clear things up I did buy Mike's book on carb rebuilding and completed all steps, adding the sonic cleaning to make things easier. Going now to the link I was sent about how to tune CBX carbs.

Thanx again for all the help. May need some more in the near future. Dennis

Oh, one more thing. When I got my GT kit two small long alu. strips (6"x1/4") with flags of bifferent countries were included. What's that all about?

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”