idle & rpm increase for no reason

oldcbx79
New Member & Happy To Be Here

idle & rpm increase for no reason

Post by oldcbx79 »

Hi folks..My 79 had gas leak. I thought stuck float. Was o-rings on gas stand pipe inlet. Took CARBS off bike *@#&^ and carefully removed and replaced o-rings. Tested on bench, no leak.Great! Fought like hell and got carbs back on, fished cables thru frame, reassembled everything. Had a beer (1)
fired right up but throttle won't return by itself. Turned grip down to idle, let go and it ran back up to about 2,000. I don't have a damn clue. Everything looks and acts normal. Did a little wd-40 on throttle spring assy, no help. God, I don't want to take them off again...HELP!!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: idle & rpm increase for no reason

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site.
Only removed the carbs once? I wish. lol.
Maybe just the cable routing is causing the revs to hang up.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6727&p=50425&hilit ... ing#p50425

Quickster2
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Quickster2 »

Not knowing your bikes history, I will share my experience. Purchased my 1980 last year and experienced high idle. J.R. diagnosed an older choke cable that was mis-routed and slightly binding. As I was going to zero out this bike mechanically anyway, we decided to completely rebuild the carbs and replace all boots and clamps with Randakk's parts. My point here is that you may have fixed the leak but now you may have boots leaking or binding cables after "disturbing" your carbs.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You could have fouled up a few things. Possibly throttle cable binding, maybe choke cable too tight, holding choke partially closed. More likely is incorrect reassembly of #1 and #2 carb bodies, leading to binding throttle plates and/or grossly misadjusted sync screws.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Two things: Go clean up that WD40 - it's not a lubricant (although it will momentarily lubricate or unstick something), and after its carriers evaporate it leaves behind a sticky residue. It's the last thing you should reach for when you want to lubricate something.

The choke cable sheaths are all a skosh too short - if you locate the metal tip near the center of that clamp that holds the carb end of the cable (as would make sense), you're actually putting tension on the choke cable and could be partially choking your bike. Make certain that there is 2 mm or so of side to side freeplay on the exposed cable when the choke is off.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

oldcbx79

Post by oldcbx79 »

Thanks for all the input. Now to try and fix.

oldcbx79

Post by oldcbx79 »

Still haven't sorted it out, just wanted to compliment Nils on his restoration. Beautiful work! "Tims" has nothing on you.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

oldcbx79 wrote:Still haven't sorted it out, just wanted to compliment Nils on his restoration. Beautiful work! "Tims" has nothing on you.
You are too kind, but thanks. Tim's and many folks here were all crucial in it being done and looking as it does. The truth is I bungled and had to redo tons of it along the way, but I learned a ton and that was one of the goals.

Looking forward to hearing that you have your bike purring!

N.
Nils Menten

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Be sure the carbs are sync'd.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

oldcbx79 wrote:Still haven't sorted it out, just wanted to compliment Nils on his restoration. Beautiful work! "Tims" has nothing on you.

I guess for the benefit of those who only go by hear-say, it needs to be put out:

"Tim's CBX" is no longer what it used to be and what it was once known for. I was told that there is no "shop" or "store" anymore. Bill Brint, the proprietor behind the name "Tim's" does business out of his garage or a storage facility, mainly selling parts, still using the name originally established by "Tim" Ware and later continued by Alex and Norma. "Tim's" has "contractors doing work for him, like Preston Marks working on engines (excellent jobs) and Louis Montrone supplying used and new parts for "restoration" purposes. But the times of a shop named "Tim's CBX"where you could pull up in front of and see mechanics working on CBXes ( and maybe other motorcycles) are no longer.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

EMS wrote:
oldcbx79 wrote:"Tim's CBX" is no longer what it used to be and what it was once known for. I was told that there is no "shop" or "store" anymore.
That is right. Here is a picture of the building I believe used to be known as TIMS CBX.

I visited them about 4 1/2 years ago, because I wanted to see the operation and talk to some of the mechanics. This was shortly after Tim's had split from these guys. They still had some Tim's merchandise, and gave me a couple of Tim's Tee shirts. This is in Alpharetta, Georgia, but they may be gone now. Their web site does not seem to exist anymore, and I see their address listed as in Dawsonville, Ga.

Here is the sign that was out in front.

SCH Rochester, MN

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

"Tims CBX' may not be what it use to be but times have changed over the years. Bill does an excellent job of having parts on hand for your bike be it internal engine or chassis related. Where else can you find the parts easily at a competive price? Some parts I've had made for himfor internal engine upgrades.
There are many newcommers but Bill has been here with us for years and diserves our support in the CBX Community in my eyes, I've seen him struggle thru the hard times but stick with the CBX rather than other adventures.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I agree with you Preston. I've done a bunch of business with Bill and he's hardworking, honest and ethical in my experience. We're lucky to have him.

N.
Nils Menten

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

I would also like to add that Bill has been very hard working to accomodate my numerous last minute requests and has always been willing to help with postage to Greece.
What more, Louis has also been very - very helpful and of course Preston, so willing to spend time with me on the phone sharing his CBX secrets with someone from far away Greece.
Very happy to know these people are there, when I need them. And need them I do !! Often.
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

I've had only good dealings with Bill.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”