Cleaning clogged idle jets

SPLINTER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Cleaning clogged idle jets

Post by SPLINTER »

Excellent job Cool-biker! I agree with the others. Having quality members that have the skill and the time to contribute to the sight in the way you have, is absolutely awesome. Thanks!

best to you,
Leslie

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

SanDogDewey wrote:
Kool_Biker wrote:Frankly I had no idea there is so much to them and definitely see your point.
Now getting them out is another story ...
Thanks for the great pics.
There are threads of information about tapping and removing them with a #40 screw.

Sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier......here ya go........ http://tinyurl.com/4bbqrtw
It's not what you ride.....it's how you ride.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

This project has finished some time ago (read entire thread above) AND my carbs seem to work perfectly :o
But great photos Mike, I am sure they will be of help to many.
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

First off, sorry for reposting in an old thread. I am new to the CBX carbs. I just have one question. Once you drill and tap the existing pilot jet to remove it, how does it not effect the tuning of the jet? Does the orifice size not matter at the start of the jet?
Thanks in advance!

SPLINTER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SPLINTER »

I believe the drill and tap should only go so far in to the jet. I'm certain there is a procedure on here ( with illustrated pics ) that you can follow. If you cant find it, let me know and I'll source it for you. So...this being said, you will be pulling out the old jet from just the top 1/4 inch of it. Unless you can get them super clea...replace them. Try and get Mike Nixon's carb rebuild book. It's worth the money. Best of luck to you.
Leslie

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

SPLINTER wrote:I believe the drill and tap should only go so far in to the jet. I'm certain there is a procedure on here ( with illustrated pics ) that you can follow. If you cant find it, let me know and I'll source it for you. So...this being said, you will be pulling out the old jet from just the top 1/4 inch of it. Unless you can get them super clea...replace them. Try and get Mike Nixon's carb rebuild book. It's worth the money. Best of luck to you.
Leslie
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing a lot of research about Randakks and also heard Mike Nixon's book is a must. Will definitely go that route.
The only thread I was able to find and was descriptive was this thread, hence why I replied to it. I just didn't know that you could reuse the pilots after being drilled.

Kyle

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

The drilling and tapping is JUST to get the pilot jets out so you can really see what's going on when you pass a #80 drill bit through them. This is really critical as trying to just blow these jets out with carb cleaner does NOT get all the funk out of the jets.

This works...... http://tinyurl.com/4bbqrtw

SPLINTER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SPLINTER »

Kyle, this is an awesome website! A lot of information available just at the click of a mouse. I have received tons of help on here and am very greatfull this comunity was so willing to give me a hand along the way.Try visiting CBXWorld as well, they too have a data bank worth looking at. Good luck!
What made you want to overhaul the carbs?

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

akinz wrote:First off, sorry for reposting in an old thread. I am new to the CBX carbs. I just have one question. Once you drill and tap the existing pilot jet to remove it, how does it not effect the tuning of the jet? Does the orifice size not matter at the start of the jet?
Thanks in advance!

No need to apologize as CBX carb issues will be with us forever, especially with this shitty gasoline laced with ethanol.

Therefore CBX carb discussions and comments will be an on-going and continuous discussion.

SPLINTER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SPLINTER »

Great link Mike C.!

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

Mike Cecchini wrote:The drilling and tapping is JUST to get the pilot jets out so you can really see what's going on when you pass a #80 drill bit through them. This is really critical as trying to just blow these jets out with carb cleaner does NOT get all the funk out of the jets.

This works...... http://tinyurl.com/4bbqrtw
Awesome!!! That was my main question... just to make sure that drilling and tapping just the starting of the pilot was okay, since I see you describe that where the orifices on the sides and up to where the jet would bottom out is only the real critical point of the jet.

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

SPLINTER wrote:Kyle, this is an awesome website! A lot of information available just at the click of a mouse. I have received tons of help on here and am very greatfull this comunity was so willing to give me a hand along the way.Try visiting CBXWorld as well, they too have a data bank worth looking at. Good luck!
What made you want to overhaul the carbs?
I completely agree. I have done quite a bit of research since I aquired my cbx, but only recently have been taking advantage of the information given on this site. It's been very helpful.

The cbx I purchased has been sitting for a while and is running very poorly, pouring gas all over the place, hence why I am doing the research to rebuild the carbs.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Lots of good info here Kyle. My first set of CBX took three attempts before I got it right.
Read and re-read every carb thread, study Mike Nixons book and go for it..

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BillB »

I'm glad I found this thread. I've had my 2 CBX's since the mid 80s and there have been times when they did not get ridden for a year or two. Despite that I never had a problem with the jets getting plugged. THEN last year I moved from CA to AZ. I joined the local community motorcycle club and went on a bunch of rides last spring. Summer hit and half the club (snowbirds) disappeared and the club went dormant in the 110F heat. So, the bikes sat for 3 months. Since I have never had problems I didn't think to start them every week or so. Last week, as our first ride was scheduled I found both bikes would not idle. They would start and run and idle as long as the choke was on. Closed throttle deceleration was definitely screwy sounding. Exhaust pipe temps revealed #6 was cold on one bike and #3 and 6 on the other. The affected cylinders had spark. Argh!

I've tried to cleanout #6 on the one bike w/o removing the carbs. No problem dealing with the main and secondary screwed in jets. Tried to blow out the idle jet with carb cleaner. I see now that was doomed to fail. So, I'm trying to pull out the idle jet, carb still on the bike. I can almost do it with a small #4 sheet metal screw...almost. I can't believe Honda or Keihin didn't provide a way to remove this jet, such as making the top block plug threaded, so you could remove it and possibly drive the jet out . Anyway, I've ordered a 4-40 tap which worked w/o drilling in viewtopic.php?t=5507, but I'm guessing the carbs will have to come out to manage that. We'll see. I've ordered Randaak's carb kits and Mike Nixon's book. All the carbs should be gone through, but I'd like to get the idle fixed on this one w/o removing all the carbs and do the rebuild later.

Any other clever ideas?? TIA.
Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Nope - they have to come off and be completely rebuilt. The o-rings will fail sooner rather than later. FWIW, and it's been mentioned here a thousand times, DO NOT just start your bike and run it for a few minutes, just to keep the gas fresh in the carbs. If the bike is to sit for a few weeks or months DRAIN the carbs and forget it. Your exhaust will rot out and the crankcase will be full of moisture just starting intermittently for a few minutes.

In any case, if your carbs have never been rebuilt, it's time. If you dig deep enough here, you'll see that newbies usually have the carbs off two or three times to get them close to right. So be prepared. Holler if you need help.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”