Easy O-Ring (Temp) Leak Fix

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Easy O-Ring (Temp) Leak Fix

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

You know its always never any fun breaking apart CBX Carbs, especially to replace ten cent o-rings, and espcially when you have zero free time.

Some time ago I worked on a fuel system o-ring swelling project. Below is my laymans study based on using some chemicals that we found to work well, that are readily available.

Back to the bike. I had intermittant O-ring leaks. This winter, I drained the carbs and filled up with Berryman's B12 thru the petcock house. After a couple weeks, I drained the Berrymans, refilled with gas, and leaks are tottlay gone. Bone dry. Has stayed that way for some time. Quick easy temp fix.

======

O-Ring Seal Swelling Comparisons
Mopar_Tony_SF 2010©

This is a comparison of how typical automotive O-rings change in size when exposed to typical chemicals found in stop leak products, oil – fuel system treatments, etc. Some people want seals to swell while others do not.

O-rings tested were Buna-N (Nitrile) pierces sourced form Grainger. Buna-N is one of the most common o-ring and seal materials used in auto and motorcycle engines & fuel systems.

Chemicals tested and are below with comments.

I do not have access yet to a shore durometer test tool. However, using a homemade tool out of an exacto knife and controlled application of pressure, it seems the White Shepherd left the O-rings the softest while the Berrymans left O-rings the hardest & most brittle.

This comparison obviously is not necessarily relevant to how O-rings would change in size when above chemicals are mixed with other chemicals (gasoline, oil, etc.) or when exposed to heat and pressure. This study does not test the durability of the o-rings. However, this gives some insight to how o-rings change in size when exposed to chemicals.

The Chems tested

During test.
Left to right is:
Gumout
Acetone
Seafoam
Naphtha
Brake Fluid
White Shepherd
Berryman's B12

O-rings 5-minutes after removal from chemicals

O-rings 12-hours after removal from chemicals

Discussion of chems tested and test results:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Easy O-Ring (Temp) Leak Fix

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the fix and the info, Tony.
Berrymans banned in Ca.? You had some leftover stock...i mean found some leftover stock. It is difficult to find in my neck of the woods.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

AMAZING POST!

I admire your tenacity to explore and document this! Very interesting!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Steve Murdoch said:

"Berrymans banned in Ca.? You had some leftover stock...i mean found some leftover stock. It is difficult to find in my neck of the woods."

Come on over to this side of the lake. Plenty of Berrymans to be found.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

After these results, what is your concern about having left the O-rings exposed to Berryman's for a long time?

Excellent test! Thanks a lot for doing this. I would have loved to see STABIL included in the test!
Last edited by EMS on Sun May 09, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

A word of caution on theabove procedure. Berrymans is a powerful carb cleaner. If you carb has any heavy varnish or trash in it, the above procedure could loosen that trash and lead to a clog in the pilot fuel circuit, making the bike tougher to start, and tough to idle when warmed up. Proceed with caution.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Excellent test, I too have learned something today...Thanks
ICOA # 656

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I was 120 miles from home and leaking bad between 1 and 2 used the berrymens trick,sealed it up in 5 mins.it got me home

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”