Forum Regular

Pressed slow jets removal

Post by piit »

Hi, any hints for slow jets removal. New slow jets exist. Cheers, piit

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It's probably been covered here before, but here goes: 3mm will work, but SAE 4-40 is a better fit. Anyway - you need a screw of either of the above sizes, nut and a couple of washers. Then you need to tap the pressed-in jet a few threads. You don't have to drill a pilot hole, the jet has several mm of 'pilot hole' already drilled in it, before you get to the actual #35 passage. I've had a couple of guys tell me that the 3mm was pretty hard to get tapped without drilling out a bit, but the 4-40 will tap very easily.

Anyway, get as many threads tapped into the jet as possible, thread the nut up on the screw, put a washer on and then screw the assembly down into the threads you tapped. The tower the jet is pressed into makes a perfect pulling platform. Just tighten the nut down on the tower and the jet will pull right out. I've never ruined a jet this way and never had one I couldn't get out. And I've removed dozens of them.

Then you can properly clean the jets and the passages behind it. Just make sure you get all the debris blown out of the carb body. Then you need a small brass drift to reinstall. Just tap them back in with the drift. Good luck

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You are re-using the same jets you tapped, Dave? :?:
piit is in Finland, so he shouldn't have a problem, but here in the States it may be a challenge to find a 3mm screw and nut. The smallest my "go-to" hardware store has is 4mm

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

If you're looking for small don't forget the BA thread range...

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/ ... /tools.asp
ICOA # 656

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm saying that 4-40 hardware is perfect without drilling out the pilot part of the jet (that can be tricky). 3mm is a bit larger and MAY require drilling the jet a bit larger (just the pilot portion - not the #35 passage). As I said, there are several mm of pilot or tapping hole to work with before you actually get to the #35 passage.

The jets are perfectly reusable once cleaned and de-burred.

Dave

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

daves79x, thanks for the instructions! I tried to search this topic but could not find...I know I have seen it somewhere, but maybe not in details like now :D
BR, piit

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Piit,

3mm worked perfectly for me, it was a shock to see how small the jet holes are when I got them out. :shock:

Regards

Goss

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Hi Goss, thanks for this confirmation! Were the holes partly blocked in your case? BR, piit

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Piit,

Completely blocked and the air passages to and from them. I had to heat them up with a tourch to burn off the crap then use very small diameter wire to clear them. I was told to use the single strand if wire from my wire brush but this was too thick so stripped some electrical cable!

I am looking for a good in line filter so there will be little chance if this happening again, when you see them you will probably agree.

Regards

Goss

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Piit

Call me forgetful in advance, but how did your Kosman rim project work out. I think I saw your post about it and a pix....so sorry about asking if you already brought us up to date.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Goss wrote:Piit,

3mm worked perfectly for me, it was a shock to see how small the jet holes are when I got them out. :shock:
Piit,

I have found the receipt for the 3mm tap to find that I purchased a 2.5mm drill bit with it so I probably did drill the holes out very slightly as I used the second stage tap only. I would have drilled down into the jet 6mm deep then tapped them. I used a 3mm allen head with the key as it gave me better control.

Hope this helps.

Goss

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, I've heard that the 3mm is a bit large to tap without drilling, You probably can't get 4-40 hardware over there, but it works perfectly without drilling.

Once extracted, you are exactly right, Goss. Just heat the jets with a torch and the goo inside will boil and crystallize. It can easily be pushed through and cleared. Motion Pro makes a set of jet cleaners/sizers for about $10. They come in a case like torch tip cleaners. The smallest is a #35 and I've practically worn that one out. Really handy for sizing them also to see if a PO has drilled them out.

New #35 pressed-in jets are available form Sirius in Canada if you need them. Good luck.

Dave

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Thanks to all for tapping information. I have new jets bought from US ebay and if remember right from Sirius. I will write how the removal went planning to do it before March. Currently I am fitting both FZR1000 and XJR1300 rear swingarm and also FZR1000 USD front end to my 79. Some works still to do ;-) Cheers, Pete

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hey piit, if you bugger up the carb nozzles when you remove them for cleaning they are available from Sirius too.

Keep us posted on your build.

jb

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

piit wrote: . Currently I am fitting both FZR1000 and XJR1300 rear swingarm and also FZR1000 USD front end to my 79. Some works still to do ;-) Cheers, Pete
How the heck are you fitting two swingarms into one bike :shock: :shock: :?

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”