Dyno Run III

E Lee

Dyno Run III

Post by E Lee »

Results of Dyno Run III.

Steve P., Yes, you are right I think the 108's will be right.

Those following these reports, hopefully this info will help; come time for you to start playing with your carbs.

Remember, this is duplication info by 2 different people getting same results.

Same set up as other runs in terms of what's on the bike, except, I plugged the 4 extra holes I drilled in the back of the baffle. Was just a "little" to loud. Also re sync. carbs and initial timing set to spec F (was a bit advanced).

112's and clip on needle (in middle) - 3rd grove, no washer under.

Results AF 12.3, idle to 4.5K; a little rich. AF (dropped again) between 4.5K and 5.7K to below scale then rising back and steady at 12.4 6K to 9.5K.

Gained 1 hp and 1 lb torque.

Conclusion: As I see it and just like Steve said, 108's will work. Clip should go back to 2nd grove and no washer under. The dip in AF I'm thinking is advancer between stages because it dipped almost 1000 rpm lower than before, remember it was retarded from other runs and or set to factory spec.

The throttle response is indeed much, much, better than when I started with the Stage 3, 122's. All in all, if I had done NOTHING to the carbs with factory 110's except turn out the idle mixture screws, I think I would have saved a lot of time and money! The learning experience however is a lesson. Thanks for your time, just thought you might want to know.

Later,

Ed Lee #5428

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun May 16, 2004 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E Lee

Dyno III

Post by E Lee »

Mark,

Steve P.,

It appears after looking at all 3 runs that a reduction in jet size by 4 makes the AF change by .6.. So with AF now at 12.2 with 112's, 108's should be right around 13.0.. Since they say btw. 13.4 and 13.6 is optimal I should still be safe.

Yep, I guess you are right about the stage 3, playing with that clip on the needle is a nice option instead of lots of washers under the stock one. Just wish I knew what the 122's as smallest in the stage 3 is all about - Is there that much difference between the DG and Kerker, and my DG does not have any packing?

Probably will not have time to play with carbs do before Oregon run. Just change sprocket.

Took a ride on Mines road, temps very warm, ran great but those twisties are a lot of work on an X. Did get a lot of "respect" at the Junction though.

Later,

Ed :)

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun May 16, 2004 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

Ed,

Sounds like you are on the right track, before I started messin with my 80 and it had the 6-1 Alphabet header and the stock replacement K+N it ran the 98 jet (110 stock) from the stage 1 kit and had a/f of about 13.6-1, I found that the leaner I made it the better it ran & more power/mpg's. The most h-power is on the ragged edge of detonation but & this is a big BUT if you cross the threshold into detonation you'll have lots of ragged edges to pick up. My friends Valkerie (water cooled) is currently jetted to 15.8-1 a/f and runs fine there but it scares the crap out of me and I'm going to add some fuel although he wants to leave it because he loves the mpg and power doesn't seem to be affected. Anyhow I'm glad things worked out for you and I hope to rejet the 80 this week but I've got some prep on the 81 before riding it to Marlington, Mark says he's gonna ride by and pick me up on the "Turbo" enroute,,,,,,Right Mark ? It'll be fun !!

Steve P. #5220

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

Ed,

Sounds like you are on the right track, before I started messin with my 80 and it had the 6-1 Alphabet header and the stock replacement K+N it ran the 98 jet (110 stock) from the stage 1 kit and had a/f of about 13.6-1, I found that the leaner I made it the better it ran & more power/mpg's. The most h-power is on the ragged edge of detonation but & this is a big BUT if you cross the threshold into detonation you'll have lots of ragged edges to pick up. My friends Valkerie (water cooled) is currently jetted to 15.8-1 a/f and runs fine there but it scares the crap out of me and I'm going to add some fuel although he wants to leave it because he loves the mpg and power doesn't seem to be affected. Anyhow I'm glad things worked out for you and I hope to rejet the 80 this week but I've got some prep on the 81 before riding it to Marlington, Mark says he's gonna ride by and pick me up on the "Turbo" enroute,,,,,,Right Mark ? It'll be fun !!

Steve P. #5220

E Lee

Dyno run III

Post by E Lee »

Steve,

Well got the 108's and had time, the 36 tooth sprocket did not arrive.

They are in and clips changed but was is prep for sprocket so no test ride.

I think I'll still be way safe with the A/F.

We shall see if I melt down going up Oregon way, specially if trying to keep up with the T-Man!

I think I'm done for now. I'm tired!

Later,

Ed

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun May 16, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E Lee

Dyno run III

Post by E Lee »

Steve,

Well got the 108's and had time, the 36 tooth sprocket did not arrive.

They are in and clips changed but was is prep for sprocket so no test ride.

I think I'll still be way safe with the A/F.

We shall see if I melt down going up Oregon way, specially if trying to keep up with the T-Man!

I think I'm done for now. I'm tired!

Later,

Ed

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”