Fuel filter questions

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Fuel filter questions

Post by Don »

Since the health of the carbs is of great importance, and since most of our fuel tanks are approaching 25 years of age, many with the accompanying rust and corrosion, I was thinking if ways to install a substantial fuel filter somewhere between the tank and the carbs, and wanted to get the groups opinions on this.

I wanted to do something more substantial than just one of the little white plastic "lawnmower filters" and was wondering if anyone has mounted a more substantial filter?? If so, what did you use, where did you place it, and how did you plumb it??

Thanks,

Don

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I have one from my Honda shop placed right at the petcock so everything from the tank (hopefully) gets stopped (before) getting into the carbs. So far so good. Changing it often should also be a regular maintenance function. I also run a bit of gas treatment thru the tank every so often and ALWAYS park it with a full fuel tank. So far so good. :)
Last edited by Terry on Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Fuel system.......

Post by sr71cbx »

Don,
Terry brought up a good point about the fuel system,if the machine is parked with a FULL tank(not 3/4ths or 7/8ths),the amount of oxygen in the tank's free space is very small and will allow the fuel to keep a whole lot better.Some fuel stabilizer doesn't hurt either,especially if it doesn't get a whole lot of use. 8) This in turn prevents any rust or guck from forming in the tank. :shock:
Filter location just after the petcock is good,about the only place to put it just the same(thanx again Terry!) :) .Remember,if you ride your CBX regularly,not annually,it won't get fuel system troubles!!! :bigthumb:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fuel Filter

Post by EMS »

All the good advice has basically been given by the fine gentlemen who spoke before me. :D Two minor items to add: Be careful with too much fuel stabilizer. It may have an adverse effect on some of the seals and compound materials in your fuel tract when exposed to it for an extensive period of time. :!: If you keep your nike in a place where the temperature fluctuates a lot ( a non-temperature-controlled garage, for example) it is essential to park your bike with a full tank of fuel. :!: Condensation in the empty part above the fuel level will cause the bare metal of the unprotected tank to rust in no time. :!:
The fuel filter that is used on the early Gold Wings, although plastic too, has proven to be rather useful on my CBXes. :) JCWhitney sells them for $2.95/pc, item no AGA010311P. My KZ1300 came with a nice aluminium two-piece unit that screws apart and has an insert. I have not been able to find out where it came from. :?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Nike

Post by EMS »

Sorry. Should proofread! :oops: I did not want to imply that I consider your ride an old shoe! It's a BIKE , of course, not a NIKE :wink:

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

Guys something I do for the winter is this. I fill the tak as full as possible and add non alcohol based stabilizer and run it till it gets in the carbs. I then shut the fuel off to the carbs and add a small amount of marvel mistery oil. I slosh it around in the tank to coat it. Might not be worth a darn but I do it. I also fog the cylinders. I have to admit I only keep a tag on my cbx 6 months out of the year. I ride other more weather friendly bikes in later fall and winter. 8)

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”