shameless plug...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: shameless plug...

Post by daves79x »

Congrats Mike on the relocation. Was in that area a year or so ago and it is indeed beautiful. Whether retirement, semi-retirement or just a new place to work, I wish you well. Actually hope to meet some day!

Dave

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

:D

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

daves79x wrote:Congrats Mike on the relocation. Was in that area a year or so ago and it is indeed beautiful. Whether retirement, semi-retirement or just a new place to work, I wish you well. Actually hope to meet some day!

Dave
Thank you, Dave. The same here, it would be great to finally put a face to a name, especially one as helpful and important to the CBX community as yours.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Mike Nixon wrote:
daves79x wrote:Congrats Mike on the relocation. Was in that area a year or so ago and it is indeed beautiful. Whether retirement, semi-retirement or just a new place to work, I wish you well. Actually hope to meet some day!

Dave
Thank you, Dave. The same here, it would be great to finally put a face to a name, especially one as helpful and important to the CBX community as yours.
I just love it when two of the Masters get together. I have learned so much from these two gentleman that I almost feel guilty about it :mrgreen:
Thanks to both of you !!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

Just a clarification. I am *not* retired, just no longer at Kawasaki corporate. I am still doing what I have been doing all my life, wrenching, only now at a new shop. :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike Nixon wrote:Just a clarification. I am *not* retired, just no longer at Kawasaki corporate. I am still doing what I have been doing all my life, wrenching, only now at a new shop. :-)
Good to hear that you are still putting up with wrenching on motorcycles, Mike! Also glad that you are no longer with Team Green, so you will not hold it against me if I vent:

For a long time, I was suspicious that the Kawasaki engineers in the late 70s and 80s had absolutely no clue what they were doing.
The straw that broke the camel's back now: I am redoing the front end on my 1982 KZ1300.
There is no way, you can take the forks apart and change the seal without the Kawasaki special tool or making one from scratch.
But the killer is the front brake calipers.
Who in his right mind, would design a caliper hanger that mounts INSIDE the floating caliper???????????
There is absolutely no way to install the caliper hanger with its rubber boots staying in place. And... you have to install the piston through the hole in the caliper hanger :roll: :roll:
I was working on this for 4 hours, constantly telling myself ..Patience, Mike, don't swear.....

I know, many here will say: Serves you right, why do you even want to own a bike like that.....
Last edited by EMS on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

You should experience the frustration of being on the inside! Well, no, I wouldn't wish that on you. Deadening, sterile working environment. Both Honda and Kawasaki, both of whose corporate offices I worked at, the same. I often think the Japanese are as successful as they are only due to sales quantity. About the culture, about the end user of heir products, unlike the "niche" brands, the Japanese know nothing. See my articles on this...

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/v ... lenge.html
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/mgmt_game.html
Last edited by Mike Nixon on Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Great article Mike and sadly true to this day :-(
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

I suppose it is the same eveywhere. Thanks Phil!

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Congratulations on your move mike,

All the best

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good on ya, Mike! I do understand your comments, etc. regarding working with the Japanese culture. Have a few 'war stories' from my days at Ford engineering working with Mazda engineering. Maybe some day.....
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”