Mid-range flatness or stumble

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Mid-range flatness or stumble

Post by BillB »

I checked the ignition advancer since it was mentioned as one potential cause of poor low-speed acceleration. It moves freely.
Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I am working on a 3000-mile '79. It has been sitting since 1982, but stored in climate-control. In checking the engine over, valve adjustment, cam chain adjustment, timing, etc, I always take my own advice and checked the advancer. It was frozen solid. Came off the shaft, but would not rotate the advance weights. Took some soaking and pliers to get the reluctor to move and finally off it's shaft. The weights were perfectly free, but the old grease Honda put on the shaft was solid. There was no sign of moisture or rust. This would have created a real running problem had I not checked it. This same Honda grease hardens on the shifter pivot, lever pivots, ignition switch internals, starter and turn signal/high beam switches. These all need taken apart and cleaned and re-greased, even on such a low-mile bike as this.

Dave

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BillB »

For my slow to mid-range stumble, the solution was Mike's Winter [er, rather Spring] Thaw procedure (found in the Tech Tip Chronicles) which involves cleaning out the air passages under the top cap and slider, which can be done with carbs on the bike.
Last edited by BillB on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks for the input, Bill. That's 'stuff' that can help others.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”