Thread Index - Carbs - START HERE

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Thread Index - Carbs - START HERE

Post by herdygerdy »

Hi Nils, this is an excellent resource, many thanks for putting this together.

Here's a link to my rebuild back from 2009 on the other site.

https://www.cbxworld.com/modules.php?na ... &&start=30

The very bottom of page 3 describes my 'match stick' trick to make refitting the linkage forks between carbs to the neighbouring carb a lot simpler.

Page 5 describes my tried and true method of clearing blocked accelerator pump jets using two of the rubber bungs that go into the pillar inside the float bowls and carb cleaner. It uses hydraulic pressure to clear the brass jet in the floor of the carbs at about 4 o'clock position

if considered useful, please feel free to edit and add here as you see fit.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Thread Index - Carbs - START HERE

Post by CBX-tras »

Keep in mind that Honda, never intended for these bikes to last this long.
With more and more fuel tanks rusting, the fine particulate can get through all the factory screens and eventually enter the accelerator nozzles.
These nozzles are a one-way device with a small check ball where the fuel enters the nozzle and a tiny orifice that the fuel exits, into the throat of the carburetor.
Unfortunately, this creates a ship-in-a-bottle scenario where the rust particles can get in but are too big to get out, clogging the nozzle. When this occurs, it's near impossible to correct without further damage or ruining the nozzle. Not high pressure, not ultrasonic, not carb cleaner

My advice is to install a good quality, inline filter between the petcock and the rack and change it regularly.
A transparent filter will let you see if there is anything in it, helping to avoid the situation entirely.

While we're at it, I recommend eliminating the screens that are connected to the float seat for a couple of reasons.
1. You'll never know when they're dirty.
2. They're not easily cleaned if they are.
3. I've seen them disintegrated.
4. None of the DOHC 4's have them. (Designed immediately after the CBX).

So, a good inline filter is the better option. Trap the debris before it enters the rack.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”