Airbox

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Airbox

Post by oroepke »

Wow, I was hoping to find an airbox for low $$$, since my bike came with pods. But I guess those things are as hard to find as can can be! Are there any sources other than ebay? Thanks!
New 1980 CBX owner as of January 2023!
Other bikes: BMW R1200GS, BMW R80 G/S, BMW R75/5
Previous bikes: Several SOHC Hondas and KZ's, a few BMWs, Honda CT, HD Fatboy, XL 500, DR 750, RD 350, CB250....

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Airbox

Post by FalldownPhil »

You might try tevan ( Terry Schmitt ) or Louis @ usedcbxparts
Air box parts are getting harder to find because many went into
the trash after being replaced with pods.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The filter box and the central air chamber are not particularly scarce, perhaps a bit pricey, and there are are now reproductions made of the very hard to find airbox lids. You really need a few other things to complete the conversion back to stock also. The breather hose and clamps, the entire airbox drain system with catch tank (you'll have to find a replacement for the rubber strap that holds the tank onto the spark unit - they always are broken - the stock filter basket and foam sock, or the later paper filter, holding spring, bolts that hold the central chamber to the upper frame, clamps for the carb side boots and the chamber to filter box clamp, bolts for the lid, likely some more I'm forgetting. It'd be nice for someone to put together the whole package for you, but it'd be (rightly) pricey.

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Worth mentioning - The early model "Twin Shock" has an entirely different airbox/filter box than the later ProLink bikes.

Be sure that you purchase the correct components for your bike.

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Great feedback, thanks. In the meantime I have looked at the parts diagram and was trying to piece things together through ebay and such, but that seems difficult.
I also reached out to usedcbxparts, they can help me out, but I was hoping to spend a bit less.
Anyways, I have a bit more time while rebuilding the carbs and will looking around. Thanks again.
Previous bikes: Several SOHC Hondas and KZ's, a few BMWs, Honda CT, HD Fatboy, XL 500, DR 750, RD 350, CB250....

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Whatever model you have and when you get the correct airbox, make sure you have the correct carb manifolds (between carb and cylinder head) for that model also. Whoever put the pods on may have changed the manifolds. The 1979/80 manifolds are straight, the 81/82 are wedge shaped.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

oroepke wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:15 pm
Wow, I was hoping to find an airbox for low $$$, since my bike came with pods. But I guess those things are as hard to find as can can be! Are there any sources other than ebay? Thanks!
If Louis doesn't have it try Bert at SCM https://www.sixcenter.nl/index.html
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Shipping the whole airbox from Europe would more than erase any savings over a supplier here. I must tell you that you need to decide while rebuilding the carbs if you are for sure going with the stock airbox, otherwise you will be pulling the carbs back off to re-jet. I don't know what you think is too expensive, but anything less than $500 for the whole airbox package, ready to bolt on, seems reasonable in today's market. You really can't properly restore/recommission/maintain these things without spending real money.

Dave

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Haven’t made a final decision yet if I keep the pods or not. I put 20 mls on the bike, kept it at low rpm and it runs ok. The bike was still registered when I got it and I was told the PO rode it lastly in early 2022. So the plan for now is to check valves and timing chain, change the oil and filter, replace tires and bleed brakes (they work well, rebuild comes later), take the carbs off and rebuild them, see what the jetting is in there and then put some miles on it.
If I don’t get it running to my liking with the pods, I’ll switch to the airbox.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

CHAMBER ASSY., AIR CLEANER

17300-MA2-000

As of today (Jan 18th 2023) there is one on ebay UK for £190 I am sure others are available on other ebay sites in Europe
Last edited by scottish CBX on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Another alternative is;

http://usedcbxparts.com/parts.htm

Good luck

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

MA2 is a Pro-Link - totally different.

Dave

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Yes sorry

17300-422-000

Me thinks, no longer available new of course : (

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Olaf:

Here some pictures regarding a question asked elsewhere and for the benfit of others. These show the visual differences between a Prolink airbox and what you have. The prolink box has a metal clip which holds the lid in addition to the two screws. the lid has a buckle for the clip to attach to. the manifold has removable side panels attached by Philips screws
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Thanks for the clarification. Will tackle the conversion back to air box and stock jetting in a few weeks.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”