Idle too high Battery question

Aeronca
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Idle too high Battery question

Post by Aeronca »

I just hauled my 1980 CBX out of 10 year storage and apart from seized calipers and idling issues Im good to go.
After startup idle is normal around 500 rpm. Given 2 or 3 minutes the idle finds it way up to 3000 and stays there.
Applications of choke sends it higher yet. The air filter has not been re installed. Im ok with minor repairs but dont know where to start with this issue. I did drain the carbs before storage.
The carbs were removed and professionally cleaned 10 years back. it was put to bed running well.

Another question..What would the group recommend for a new battery in the way of cranking amps? Dry cell or wet?
Obviously after 10 years my battery is toast. Time for a new one.

Thanks very much for any ideas. Great place this is.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Idle too high Battery question

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site.
The first thing you have to do is put an air filter back in place.
Also, i wouldn't let it sit and idle for even 3 minutes without a large fan blowing on the engine.

I have had this Big Crank battery in my bike for 7 years and have had no problems.
https://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank ... ttery.html

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Are you sure your choke isn't hanging up a little? I'd also check the advancer after sitting so long. It may be sticky and hanging up. Failing all that, I'd run the bike with fresh gas, if it's rideable the way it is, and run a tank through it to see of anything changes. If not, the carbs likely have to come off.

Dave

Aeronca

Post by Aeronca »

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated. I dont think the choke is hanging up as all seems good with the cables and the rpm issue takes a few minutes to develop. Please excuse my ignorance but can you direct me to the advancer and some hints on how to check for proper operation? As I was saying Im not a master mechanic on these bikes and still learning.
The gas is already fresh but I cant ride it outside of a few blocks just yet. Registration safety and insurance is yet to come and I want to make sure these issues are not going to cause a lengthy delay getting it back on the road.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The advancer is on the right side of the engine by the clutch cover.
#11 in this schematic.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... r-advancer

When you do ride the bike for a couple blocks does it run well after the revs get above 4000?

Aeronca

Post by Aeronca »

The bike does run well after 4000 rpm. It would seem all cylinders kick in then. Below that and not under acceleration the left side mildly backfires at times.

Does this sound like a mandatory carb pull? Is there anything at all I can check first?
If I do pull the carbs and send them out for cleaning how involved is it reinstalling them and setting them up?

Im new here and really appreciate the response. After buying the bike in 1982 I have ridden it rarely in the last 20 years. Its always been in a garage and stored properly or what I thought was properly. Yes the carbs were always drained.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It is your carbs for sure. If you decide to send them out, they should come back ready to install and go. A careful gauge sync makes them perfect, but they should be bench synced very close.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”