CB750, CB900F compatable with CBX1000?

jvc
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CB750, CB900F compatable with CBX1000?

Post by jvc »

Greetings from South Africa

I have purchased a beaten up CBX early this year. The bike was badly vandalised and then stood for 12 years outside. After deeming her unrestorable (82 Prolink) I decided to do a modern build if I can salvage the carbs and engin. I have started with the carbs, stripping and cleaning. Apart from superficial damage and scratches and 2 chips caused by a "carb removal by crowbar" procedure, there is only one broken off air screw post. Thus I believe the carbs are good.

I am however a bit of a perfectionist and would like to have the carbs in as good as new condition. For that I will have to swop out the outside carbs and this brings me to my question: "Are the ports and "pressed jets" the same for the CBX1000 carbs and the CB750/900 carbs? I can see that all but 1 of the port tubes have been ported on the 1000. To my untrained eye they look identical and stripping a set of 4 carbs to mix and match on the 6 looks plausible.

Thanks
Jan

Edit: From the forum I now know I have a prolink cbx-b, from my carbs I have VB 65A A with press in slow jets.
I'll keep on searching and remove this post if I come right, Thanks for reading.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CB750, CB900F compatable with CBX1000?

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Jan.
The carb guys will be along but have a look at this chart for jet comparisons.
http://www.globalarray.net/user/mike_in ... vised.html

Not quite sure what you are referring to as "port tube"?
Can you identify it with a part number from this schematic.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... comp-parts

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am a little confused too regarding the terminology you are using and what exactly you want to do. But if you want to replace a CBX carb body with that of an "F" bike, I am afraid it will not work.
All 900/1100f and 1100R carbs that I have DO NOT have an accelerator pump circuit.

jvc

Post by jvc »

Thanks Steve,

Thanks EMS, yes, I was referring to the circuits, with 2 out of the possible 3 drilled.

I have spend a fair amount of time reading up, I'll get there eventually :)

I have a ton of questions, but first I'll post a few photos in an introductory thread later this coming week, we all love the pics just be prepared, parental guidance will be advised.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

jvc wrote: Thanks EMS, yes, I was referring to the circuits, with 2 out of the possible 3 drilled.
We are still talking past each other. I am talking about the accelerator pump and the connecting passages. It seems you are talking about the jet circuits.

jvc

Post by jvc »

OK, I'm with you now, Accelerator pump sitting on a bowl. With the accelerator fuel rail tubes connecting the carb bodies.

And, yes, you are correct, my concern is with the jet passages.

This is a photo of a vb43 from a cb900f

These are the carbs I'm considering. Advertised as 750/900 carbs. I have to wait until the seller gets back from vacation for additional photos.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

jvc wrote: stripping a set of 4 carbs to mix and match on the 6 looks plausible.

Thanks
Jan

Edit: From the forum I now know I have a prolink cbx-b, from my carbs I have VB 65A A with press in slow jets.
I'll keep on searching and remove this post if I come right, Thanks for reading.
Once again, what exactly do you want to do?
Mix and Match 900F and CBX carbs will not work.
If you have a CBX-B (the VIN number should tell you) the VB65A A carbs are correct for that bike. These carbs do not have pressed in slow jets. Only the 79 CBX-Z had these.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”