Petrol running out of carb 2 or 3

Tony A
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Petrol running out of carb 2 or 3

Post by Tony A »

Greetings from Down Under.
My 81 model had a major rebuild about 8 years ago and ran well for a few thousand km's, then went onto storage for a few years.
Put a new battery in her up this week and fired her up. Started after a half minute or so of cranking and seemed to run OK (choke on). The petrol started running out of the carb bank seemingly from carb 2 or 3. Was running out of the body of the carb but not possible to tell where. Fuel stopped running a little while after stopping the motor.
Hoping that it would be as simple as a stuck float needle I tried giving the carbs a thump with piece of wood. Restart with same result. Repeat again, same result.
Wasn't prepared to let the motor run as there was fuel running out of the carbs like the fuel line was running free.
I tilted the motor and pulled the carbs off. Set up a fuel line into the left bank of carbs and there was no sign of a leak. Did the same with the right bank and no leaks.
Only obvious issue I can see is that the air tee on the left hand side is perished.
Checked the invoice from the bike rebuild and cant find detail relating to carbs rebuild but it was paid in several instalments as work proceeded so may not have been on the final invoice. So I cant be sure whether the carbs have the original seals or if they were stripped down and replaced.
As I cant get the carbs to leak fuel since removal that has me wondering if it was simply a stuck needle which has now unstuck and carbs could be put back on and motor restarted.
However, before I do that I would like some more experienced opinions. Have I missed anything.

Tony

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Petrol running out of carb 2 or 3

Post by daves79x »

It was likely the fuel joint o-rings leaking, then with exposure to fuel, they swelled and resealed. But not for long. They should all be replaced. Before you do that though, be sure you don’t have a leak in the fuel supply line somewhere.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

daves79x wrote:It was likely the fuel joint o-rings leaking, then with exposure to fuel, they swelled and resealed. But not for long. They should all be replaced. Before you do that though, be sure you don’t have a leak in the fuel supply line somewhere.

Dave
Just as Dave said! Been there, too. AND, be certain to use o-rings made of Viton material. You don't want to pull carbs again.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Tony A

Post by Tony A »

Thanks for the replies Dave/Larry. The accelerator pumps are working, is there anything else that I should check before dismantling?
Will put an order into Randakks in the next few days and get a copy of Mikes book.
Tony

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

With those two things, you should be good-to-go, Tony.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”