Winter storage

chrispyduck
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Winter storage

Post by chrispyduck »

Hello
I am coming into Winter in the UK where the bike won't get used. This is my first cbx and want to avoid any issues with carbs/fuel.
My usual routine with other bikes i have (Kawasaki Z1 and Kawasaki GPZ 900) is to run ethanol free unleaded (Esso Synergy) and add a stabilizer (Putoline) always shut off the fuel tap with carbs still with fuel. Maximum time without running would be 3 months as i can start the motor and run up to temperature for 20 minutes.

Question is do i treat the cbx differently ie do i run the carbs dry ?

Any advice and input very much welcomed.

Chris

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Winter storage

Post by Larry Zimmer »

What has worked for me for many years is: DRAIN the carbs IMMEDIATELY after a good run. Add a good fuel stabiliser at twice the recommended amount. (Filling the tank with fuel might help prevent rusting. Never been a problem for me here in Michigan.) Light film of oil onto the fork tubes. Cover bike. You could change the oil before putting it away. Depending upon which type of battery you have, charge it a few times during the storage. (Battery Tender or equiv). An AGM type will likely only require one charging at about mid-Winter. Top it off before Spring start-up. Starting and operating the bike during storage will only introduce contaminants into the oil and fuel.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Winter storage

Post by Mouse »

Living in the Alberta Rockies I get a minimum of 5 months of winter, so I empty the fuel tank and carbs for the winter. I leave the tank cap off so it can dry and then a spritz of a wool wax based anti rust agent in the tank deals with any possible rust issues. I put the cap back on loose to stop dust and allow the tank to breathe.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”