Breather hose

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Breather hose

Post by jt »

OK so finished up the carb rebuild awhile back and have them on the bike. So would like to keep the inside of the carbs clean so would like to run a breather hose either out to the back of the bike or to a small catch can. I tried running a hose (1/2"ID x 3/4" ODTygon) up through # 3 & 4 carb air box boots.The 1/2"ID Tygon hose fits the spigot nicely. The hose fouls the choke action slightly. Possibly could run the hose under the air box off to the right side and then back up.

So two questions.
Anyone done this with stock air box set up?
Is it worth the trouble to do?
and a third question.
Would 3/8"ID hose be sufficient for the breather hose?
I'm not keeping the bike original, more like a Restomod.
As usual thanks for any replys.

JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Breather hose

Post by daves79x »

From your question, I assume you think the stock breather set-up (running into the center airbox section) is gunking up the inside of your carbs? This only occurs if you have extreme blow-by, as in a very high-mileage engine. If your engine is reasonably healthy, this will not occur. I'd leave it as Honda intended and fix the engine issues.

Dave

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Breather hose

Post by jt »

Dave, Thanks the reply. I have NOS breather tube I was saving for my stock 79 in case I needed it, I will use it . The only thing is I have no history on this motor. It is 1 of 2 complete motors I bought from TomN awhile back. My plan was to get it running and put a some miles on it and evaluate it.

I sent you a PM.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”