Won't run without the choke

Irishman1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Won't run without the choke

Post by Irishman1 »

Well for some reason this topic is under Irishman 53 on this form? It began last summer when I bought my 81 Prolink with 20,000 miles on it from the original owner. It would only run with the choke on take the choke off that would die and it seemed to run fine. I took the carbs off this winter I'm also restoring the rest of the bike which I'm done now. I rebuilt the carburetor's with out separating them this time. Replaced bowl gaskets, drilled out the slow idle jets to clean. everything looked great when I took them apart the previous owner never ran ethanol gas ran it every month kept it stored inside so they look great. When reinstalling all the parts I noticed that the choke cable had been installed backwards the whole time I watched Mike Nixon's cable video for the Cbx and when I went out to reinstall my cables notice the Farell was at the wrong end I probably didn't need to rebuild the carbs at all but they had to come off to paint the frame and engine anyway. So I polished everything so it's all good but boy it runs great now thanks for the advice. First ride after the restoration I started her with the choke and ran inside to put my clothes on and didn't hear it running way too high. Dumb move. Blued the pipes. They buffed out nicely and she ran great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Irishman1 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICOA # 6786
Retired, now my job is restoring old hondas!
Bike in the garage right now:
1979 CBX1000 red
1980 CBX1000 red
1981 CBX1000 prolink
1975 gl1000 blue
1975 gl1000 red
1975 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1975 gl1000 red
1976 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1977 gl1000 black
1977 gl1000 blue
1977 gl1000 black
1978 cb750f super sport
1979 cb750f super sport

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Won't run without the choke

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good to hear, Irish. NOW, for some riding weather! Have a great year.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Won't run without the choke

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Glad to hear you got the carbs sorted out.
Those short video clips from Mike have helped me many times as well.
Did you just use a chrome polish on the pipes or did you use something like Blu-away?

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”