Soda Blasting

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Soda Blasting

Post by harvey »

Not trying to effect or complete with Nils vapor blasting business but did run into an alternate method. Here is the link:
http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Soda Blasting

Post by ericfreeman »

I have one of those inexpensive handheld blasters with a small hopper on top from Harbor Freight and it works well with baking soda. I've used it to refurbish the outside of dirty carbs and it makes them look like new, something that's very difficult to do otherwise. Cheap to operate as well.

Eric

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

I have used soda to good effect. Different set-ups, pressures, grits (including salt-like industrial grade) and volumes. It is a very good method. However, unless your rig is the kind they use to repaint cars and houses, 300 psi with a water mix and a 2 1/2" hose, it (what we mere mortals have access to) really gets only surface corrosion off, it won't get into the substrate and remove the oxidation underneath the corrosion or the oxidation caused by the misuse of chemicals. Hydro ("vapor") blasting is the real deal, what Nils uses, as most of us aren't going to use dry ice, which as I understand it is the state of the abrasive cleaning art. The results of hydro blasting are nearly indistinguishable from dry ice. :-)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Learn something new every day/year. Thanks, Mike. I always appreciate your experience. It has taught me at least more than a few things.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rpleines »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Learn something new every day/year. Thanks, Mike. I always appreciate your experience. It has taught me at least more than a few things.
:text-+1: Rich
Rich Pleines

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”