carburators

hugues
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

carburators

Post by hugues »

hi I am hugues from Ottawa Ontario, I am getting my 79 cbx restored and I am looking for carburators mine have been played with and are no longer,repairable, so originals or after market, open to suggestions thanks, I have not driven this bike for 10 years,i am so looking forward to this summer.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: carburators

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, hugues.
How have the carbs been messed with? The carbs gurus can work wonders.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

there were three sets of carbs on ebay yesterday, one was sold for $205...one of the others still there has a current bid $102 bidding ends tomorrow...and one item with a buy now price of $595, but there's no way of knowing if it'll need a rebuild...

buying a rebuild project you know nothing about then adding a rebuild fee from one of experts on the forum it'll tack on another another $800-1k+ to the price...unless you're doing the rebuild yourself it might be quicker(and maybe cheaper) to buy a completed rebuild from one of the suppliers...if your carbs are repairable that save you a few hundred...

I was tempted to get in on the bidding but the set that was sold for 250 had a fair amount of internal corrosion and I don't have the knowledge to gauge whether that's problematic or not so I passed on it :(
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

:text-welcomewave:
Hi Hugues.
Welcome to the group. You could be surprised as to what the Carb guy's who know these carbs, can repair.
Here's a link to my own carb repair job now in progress.http://www.justcarbs.com/test/Gallery012/
(Hope that works). Mike can do wonders, plus he will give you an honest evaluation of the state of your own carbs.
It cost me approx $100 cdn with Canada Post, to send them to Mike, but well worth it. Mike also has the best carb repair manual available plus he will supply nessasary parts if you wish to do the job yourself.
Tims CBX has a FCR carb set they will sell you, or you can check with Louis at cbxparts.com, for a good used set.
Let us know how you get on with the repair and post some picks of your bike. Oh, one of our members is compiling a CBX serial number registry here on the site, so if you would like to add to it, great.
Regards.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I have several good sets here I can rebuild and sell you complete and ready to go.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”