CRANKING IT OUT !!!

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CRANKING IT OUT !!!

Post by nicholr »

Hi guys and girls. I suspect my issue might have been included in the many carb postings but let me ramble on a little just on case this is new. I am the ecstatic new owner of a very lo mile 80 euro equipped red CBX. I now know most of the worlds suppliers. My 'conservation' turned into a stunning rebuild/repaint darling of a bike. I have had three good rides on it since completion and the 6-1 into a Super Trap howl cannot be reasonably explained with my vocabulary. In my extensive 'refresh' I bought carb kits and Mr. Nixons book and rebuilt the carbs. The book is aimed at 79's and in some instances was a little vague on the 80's BUT I AM NOT BLAIMINNG THE GUIDE nor the guider (sic). When warm it starts first tickle and seems to make good even power all thru the power band. However, when it is cold I have to crank for minutes to get her to putt putt, sputter sputter then start. I did remove the vacuum shut off mechanisms and direct plumbed the carbs thru t's from a sweet new Pingle fuel valve. And yes I am making certain I shut of off after each start/stop.The previous owner said it started OK cold before he sold it to me so my hands have done the damage somewhere??

The plugs are not ash brown for sure so I bought the whizzy balancing screwdriver and built a killer vacuum synchronizer to sync the banks. Then I bought the goofy right angle screwdriver whence I turned each carb mixture screw in a 1/4 turn per the factory set up process. No difference. Feels like fuel starvation but I make sure the fuel line stops flowing before I try and fire her. The issue has possible created a new problem in that now my starter button clicks the relay but the starter doesn't engage!!? Hope I haven't fried the starter.

So what do you think? Anything 'typical that green horns do or don't do'? And what's with that cheesy little tail section trunk door that only opens 1/2 way?

All help is greatfully accepted.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: CRANKING IT OUT !!!

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hi, nicholr,

If your only issue is cold start, welcome to the wonderful world of CBX! Many/most were born that way. One thing that has improved that considerably for me was changing to a AGM type battery. It spins things much better; and, appears to provide better spark power. After allowing a minute (or two) for the carbs to fill (no vacuum valve) and 2 twists of the throttle, things usually fire. Might have to do a restart. However, none of the 'cranking forever' with previous regular lead batteries.

You'll receive other notes. Check them all. Good stuff in them, too. Merry Christmas; happy '16 :P
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You suspected correctly that cold starting has been covered (and covered and covered and covered.....). Read and pay close attention to the part about making sure your accelerator pump works correctly and how to use it to aid cold starting. Also read about checking for battery voltage at the coils. Some bikes drop 3 or 4 volts to that point and this causes problems. The solution is outlined in detail there also.

Dave

mazdaboyo
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by mazdaboyo »

My 79 z needed to crank over several times before she would fire when cold. it seemed like it was fuel starvation and that it needed to fill up the float chambers. I removed the vacuum fuel cut off valve and replaced it with a 12volt fuel cut off solenoid(Petrol diesel shut off solenoid valve 12V LPG conversion) from ebay. I fitted it where the old valve was and wired it to the ignition coil. The solenoid opens when it gets 12volts, allowing fuel to flow. No power,No fuel! When the ignition is switched on and kill switch on,I can hear the solenoid energise, letting fuel into floats. No more cranking the engine over to open the vacuum tap. The mod seems to work for me. I have also fitted one to my 82 pro link.
Stu.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, maz.
Is this the unit you installed?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petrol-diesel ... 1915064909

mazdaboyo

Post by mazdaboyo »

That's the one. its also has a manual on/off lever.
Stu.

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Thanks all. I appreciate the enthusiastic responses. From scanning the input I get it that these bikes can be tricky to get started (I will make no reference to Beemer Bing tickle carb starting procedures). I will work on my technique. I will rebuild the accelerator pump and I am adding accel coils to enhance spark. But guys when I say I have to crank it a lot ......I mean A LOT! I virtually kill the battery and in fact have had to boost it the last way to fire up once. But, message received and remediation effots are now underway. I will let you know how it goes. GAWD what a lovely machine. I have a couple old rotaries RE's, an old Duc ST4S and an old Guzzi V-11 and tis new girl just meets the criteria for being odd and interesting.

Thank you for the help. First big Honda (ever) so all seasoned help is welcomed! By the way, really cool idea for the dreaded fuel shut off. I am used to pre/post flight checklists but I am at the age where accidents do happen and I note well that the consequences for forgetting this one are huge.

regards
Ron N

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

:text-welcomewave: Ron

Is your choke operating correctly?
Like Dave says check the accelerator pump is working too. Giving the throttle a good number of tweaks before hitting the starter helps get fuel into the carbs.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Install an ignition coil relay and your CBX starting world will be changed forever, and very much for the better!

https://youtu.be/njL1UDDyqTQ

PM me if you need tips on how to do this.

Enjoy!

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Dear Herdy Gerdy,

Now that clip was just cruel!! I recognize the bike, the colour and the lo bars but NOT the one touch starting. I would be in your 'forever debt' if you could guide me to 50% of where you are!! I have ordered an accelerator pump rebuild kit and I have a nagging conscience issue about those wee little o-rings and washers under the needle valves (might have missed one), I have accel coils on order just because and because of the lovely Pingle and my addled brain I might order up the cut off solenoid. But WOW! Please let me know how to connect with you for some advice. Whatever you are doing is clearly working!!!!!

My bike is a very lo mile garage queen that needed all the rubber bits refreshed, bearings renewed, seals replaced but it is really a gem. It runs really well once started and restarts like now when warm. But cold it is impossible to fire. I have checked the choke set up per Nixon and ensured I have no intake leaks etc etc. I'm sure I am getting decent fuel flow and I was particular about the float settings but what do I know> My first big Honda. Lots of other brands including rotaries so this should be a walk in the park .....no?

Ron N

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

PM sent young Ron!

P.S. it's your bike but I don't think the solenoid thing will help starting much. You are spinning it over for ages trying to coax it to life, so lack fuel should not be an issue. Before you spend those $$, just run a line straight to the fuel inlet on the carbs just for giggles and see if that improves the reluctance to light the fires. Happy to be proved wrong, but I am doubtful....

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

herdygerdy wrote:Install an ignition coil relay and your CBX starting world will be changed forever, and very much for the better!

https://youtu.be/njL1UDDyqTQ

PM me if you need tips on how to do this.

Enjoy!
That video is just cruel! Mine only starts like that when warmed up.
I'd like that tips list also Herdygerdy. Please. :-)

Also , Hi Ron.
From Canmore AB
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Thanks Herdy Gerdy!!! ahhhhhhh, whats a PM? Ok, I'm old (in life) and new (to the chat room). And hi MOuse, Is it you who are in Cochrane? Funny thing about CBX's. You don't see but a few for years so you buy one and all of a sudden WOW! HAd the same experience with my Jota. So nice having technical amigos out there who are ready willing and able to share their knowledge. I am so revved about this gorgeous bike.

Ron N

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

nicholr wrote:Thanks Herdy Gerdy!!! ahhhhhhh, whats a PM? Ok, I'm old (in life) and new (to the chat room). And hi MOuse, Is it you who are in Cochrane? Funny thing about CBX's. You don't see but a few for years so you buy one and all of a sudden WOW! HAd the same experience with my Jota. So nice having technical amigos out there who are ready willing and able to share their knowledge. I am so revved about this gorgeous bike.

Ron N
PM = Personal Message
Your user control panel (upper right of screen) should show personal messages received. Click on it to get the message.

There is a CBX owner in Cochrane? Did not know that.
I live in Canmore. Only CBX in town. There are several CBX owners in Calgary. A few have service work done by Performance cycle. Wyly (a ICOA member) a fellow Calgarian heard from another CBX owner about Vass Performance in Carstairs, He is checking them out. Quality service work for the bike is hard to find in Calgary.
I saw a very nice 82 CBX being ridden along Memorial Dr last summer and talked with a CBX owner( restoring a 80) at the Vintage Motorcycle Club stand at the motorcycle show in Calgary last Feb.
Funny you should own a couple of RE's as I know a guy with one that he wants to restore.
Opps, time for work
see you :-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

My '82 has no issues starting cold but then again I'm in San Diego and I don't think that I ever attempted starting it below 50.
Did someone mention Jota? As in Laverda Jota? If so, picture is greatly appreciated!

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”