Carbs cleaned but stopped running.

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Carbs cleaned but stopped running.

Post by nwtk2007 »

Hello guys.

Had the carbs cleaned on my 1982 CBX 1000. Got it back together and it ran like a champ. Went for a ride afterward for about a ten minute shake down, parked it for the night. This morning, it won't start. It turns over well, good battery; all is as it was last night when I shut it down. Tried choke on, choke off, added throttle, reg tank, reserve tank, kill switch is off.

Suggestions?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Carbs cleaned but stopped running.

Post by tevan »

Do you have spark on all cylinders? You have a inline filter? If you don’t I would. Make sure you are getting gas at carb.

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Yes on the spark. I just put in an inline filter when I completed the carbs. It almost fired this afternoon, like it's not getting gas. A friend suggested the there might be a screen in the stop cock. I'll be checking that as well. The tank was just completely cleaned and relined about a year ago but I'm thinking of taking it off and at least re-cleaning it. It also has new gas line as well.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I'm no expert but if it ran earlier :think: it still turns over, you have spark and air, then it's most likely fuel
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The smart guys will be along shortly but was the accelerator pump cleaned and tested as part of the carb rebuild?
If it was not properly set maybe the throttle has fouled the plugs?

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Accelerator pump??

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

nwtk2007 wrote:Accelerator pump??
Yup, it has one that feeds all six carbs.

You did turn on the kill switch? Don't ask how many of us have done that.......
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:The smart guys will be along shortly but was the accelerator pump cleaned and tested as part of the carb rebuild?
If it was not properly set maybe the throttle has fouled the plugs?

Weird that the accelerator pump would suddenly quit, wouldn’t he have noticed the pump was faulty on the initial run?...not that I know anything just asking :?

Kill switch! yeah I’ve never ever done that :roll: :oops:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Yes guys, the kill switch was not in the kill position. I have done that before.

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

If the accelerator pump is faulty, how would the bike behave while running??

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I doubt that the accelerator pump would keep it from starting. Maybe a little hesitation on opening the throttle, but it would run. Since it is an '82, you know about the auto fuel valve, right? Someone with more experience with the valve will probably be along to give advice. And, I know this is a dumb question, but is the fuel valve on the tank turned on, and is there enough fuel in the tank? Good luck!
SCH Rochester, MN

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Yes, Ii had wondered about that. The tank is a bit less than halfull and tried in in both the regular and reserve position. It was trying to fire. I really suspect something is blocking the fuel flow but will check the accelerator pump and tank. I installed a filter in the line, could that also be a problem? And does the stop cock really have a screen in it?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

im not familiar with the 82 petcock but If it has a vacuum line to the petcock and it has an air leak you won’t get any gas flow...my GS has a vacuum line and it’s given me similar problems, full tank, petcock open and no fuel flow , it would work one day and not the next because of an air leak.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

'Tis a bit strange that it ran good when you finished one day; and, would not start. However, do check to see that you are getting fuel. One word about the filter in the petcock -- it is a very fine mesh. And, not rather small. Takes very little to clog it enough to cause problems with fuel flow. (Access by unscrewing the thing from the bottom of the petcock.) A bit of whatever in the gasoline can do it.

With respect to the vacuum valve, easy enough to do a by-pass for testing. Quite unlikely that the filter inside the tank would be clogged. (actually is a part of the petcock overall assembly and relatively course. Prevents 'chunks' from passing)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Well, I got out there this morning to take a look at the petcock and now, there's something leaking that looks like gas and possibly some oil. Not sure. It's kind of greenish. Things are getting bizarre. This bike has never ever had a leak of any kind. I'm being called to work so I'm going to have a buddy of mine take a look at it. He does motorcycle repair for extra money. It's going to be sad going down to Luchenbach for the vintage bike fest without the two wheeler!

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”