petcock rebuild

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

petcock rebuild

Post by Rick Pope »

I know this has been thrashed to death, but search as I may, I cannot find the Honda part number for the seal in the petcock for my '79. I know what it interchanges to (CB/CL series to name a few), but I want to save myself a trip and order by part number.

Does anyone have that handy?

I tried using the "search" feature, and every time I hit the "back button" to return to the search results, it takes me to the forum. :x
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: petcock rebuild

Post by daves79x »

Everyone save this. The part number is: 16955-268-020. Write in your parts book or shop manual - you'll need it eventually.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

And you don't really need it, but just in case your dealer is searching by bike model, it was first used on:
CB72 Hawk 250 1961-1966

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Thanks guys. I knew you'd be the two to respond first.

I'd done the rebuild many years ago, and last evening discovered a swollen seal. I think I dosed the fuel with Sea-Foam last fall, and perhaps it was a little strong, swelling said seal.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:Thanks guys. I knew you'd be the two to respond first.

I'd done the rebuild many years ago, and last evening discovered a swollen seal. I think I dosed the fuel with Sea-Foam last fall, and perhaps it was a little strong, swelling said seal.
Rick just a heads up, I imagine you use quite a bit of Seafoam down on the farm, if you want to make a couple gallons for 1/2 the price here is the break down by weight.

Pale oil= kerosene 40-60 percent

Naphtha= Coleman lantern fluid 25-35 percent

IPA=isopropyl alcohol 10-20 percent

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Jeff,

Thanks. I only use a couple of cans per year, and sometimes you can find great promos on it, so I'm stocked for now.

I've never had to treat any of my equipment, just the small gas engines.
Rick Pope

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Question: Is Seafoam suitable for use as a gas stabilizer? I always only used it as an additive to clean the fuel system by running a tank of fuel with Seafoam added, thus getting it out of the system rather quick.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

EMS wrote:Question: Is Seafoam suitable for use as a gas stabilizer? I always only used it as an additive to clean the fuel system by running a tank of fuel with Seafoam added, thus getting it out of the system rather quick.
Good question Mike. I suspect that is the cause of the swelled seal.

I dumped out the old gas, put in the new seal, started pouring in the frsh gas, only to find the petcock leaking even worse. I didn't have the rubber seated properly around the brass flair. :oops:

Re-positioned the seal, and all is well. Hope to get some miles on it over the weekend before loading up for the VJMC event at Spring Mills next weekend.
Rick Pope

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:Question: Is Seafoam suitable for use as a gas stabilizer? I always only used it as an additive to clean the fuel system by running a tank of fuel with Seafoam added, thus getting it out of the system rather quick.
That's the misnomer with Seafoam, it's a fuel conditioner not the best fuel system cleaner, Chem-tool made by Berrymans is a much better fuel system, combustion chamber and exhaust valve cleaner.

Another mistake people make is the more is better theory no matter what additive you're using, just stick to the instructions on the container, it's not the concentration level of the additive but rather the volume of treated fuel that runs through the carbs and motor that enables the mixture to work.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Jeff, if SeaFoam is just a conditioner, what do you recommend for fuel stabilization for mowers and motorcycles over the winter(nonRiding) months?
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

harvey wrote:Jeff, if SeaFoam is just a conditioner, what do you recommend for fuel stabilization for mowers and motorcycles over the winter(nonRiding) months?
I bought a few new to me products to try in my various small engined equipment, I used the Lucas fuel stabilizer for fuel containing ethanol last year, in all my bikes, lawn equipment and my Mustang.

It's more expensive that most but it treats twenty gallons so one bottle covers everything but the Mustang, so two bottles treat everything I have for the winter.

I also bought a small bottle of Yamaha fuel stabilizer I think it does like four gallons, I'm going to try this in one of my bikes, it is also more expensive by a couple bucks.

I have not done any due diligence on any of these for contents but will just to make sure they are not full of kerosene.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

can anyone suggest the best source for this berryman chem-tool fuel system cleaner? i live up in Vancouver Canada and i doubt it is available here however i could order it on-line and ship to my US mailbox if i can source where to buy it. i have been using sea-foam but most of you think the chem-tool is better so why not try it? my bike runs great now but i assume putting a tank full through couldn't hurt it???? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

thanks a lot!
Kent

HondaJohn
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by HondaJohn »

Just a late note on these cleaners you were talking about. The best is Winns Powercharger or BG44K but you cannot buy them at auto parts stores. They are only available at garages for about $20 a can. The Winns has a few more ounces and also has a screw cap whereas the BG44K is a tear off top. Takes very little to do some small cleaning jobs and works well in bikes that have dirty jets.
79, 80, 81, 82 CBX's, 87 Hurr 1000F, 83CB1100F, 87 VFR700, 01 Blackbird
40 yrs of Hondas and still baffled....

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What is a "garage"? A service dealer? Will they sell the stuff?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

i bought some BG445 ON EBAY. I put some in my Rune when it was running rough and after about 1 tank of gas with the 445 in it all the problems went away. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”