CB1 identification

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
Russ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CB1 identification

Post by Russ »

Hi everyone,
I was last here about 3 years ago when I was restoring my silver '79 bike.
I'm looking at acquiring a red '79 bike and wondered if any of the number guru's on here could give me more information on the history of the bike?
As far as I know up to now it was exported from the US and has chassis number CB1 2001469 and engine #1470. I asked the seller to confirm the numbers which he says are correct. From the couple of pictures I've got it looks pretty original but rear shocks aren't the FVQ type.
It's very early days yet but the sale will, all being well, hopefully go through.
The bike will have to be purchased unseen as it's overseas but the seller seems genuine and open to questions, he will forward pictures to me in the next few days.
Any information about the date of manufacture etc. will be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Russ

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: CB1 identification

Post by JoeInTUS »

It was built in April 1978 the first month of CBX production.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The bike should have the large VIN tag on the frame neck that will say April '78 build date. The engine and frame numbers are VERY close, closer than most early bikes. The US and Canada '79 models did not come with the upgraded shocks that you guys got. Your bike also will have smooth cylinder studs. Otherwise, if stock should make you a very nice CBX.

Dave

Russ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Russ »

Thanks for the replies guys. Any more information about the manufacture of the early bikes would be most appreciated. I'll try to find some from this and other sites as well, it would be nice to get as much history as possible.
Speedo is showing under 5k, condition on the pictures I have looks great, seller knows history going back to when it was exported around 2015, it's only done a couple of hundred miles in 8 years.
Russ

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Russ,

Is it the bike for sale in the Channel Islands?

From the pictures, that bike looked really nice and a decent buy given the price.

My only comment is that the description said it was all original - including paint. It looked to me like the fuel tank had been painted - no big deal, but worth probing.

From the frame number, an early production bike but no significant changes were made later in production so neither adds to / or detracts from the bike.

If the bike has been unused for a while - sounds like that is the case, then it will need recommissioning (carbs, brakes etc) so factor that additional expense in.

Russ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Russ »

Hi Paul, hope you're well, thanks for the reply and your observations.
It is the bike from Jersey, I thought the tank had been painted and now have had a lot more pictures sent through which confirms this. The mudguard and tail look original though, he's sent pictures of the underside of the tail which is uncracked and as it left the factory as far as I can see. One side of the exhaust, which is original I believe, has had a patch welded underneath. VIN plate confirms it is April '78 and wheels are stamped the same.
I'll probably get the tank redone by Arnie as I've got a couple of tailpieces to get painted as well.
He does seem a genuine seller and is a retired mechanic from bike dealer on the island, the CBX has come from part of a collection of bikes that the owner has passed away. It is on the road and he's done a few miles last summer, the carbs have been done but don't know what kit was used so will ask the question.
As you say, it looks like a decent bike for the money but you never know until you see them in the flesh and have a look and listen, if I've got to throw another grand at it it will still be a decent price.
He will deliver it to the mainland sometime this month.
Thanks again, Russ

Return to “New Users - Start Here”