New member with a barn find

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

New member with a barn find

Post by Hamza »

Hello everyone!

I was lucky enough to come across a 1979 CBX that hasnt been used in about 15 years..has original 9000 miles on the clock...a very fortunate barn find! The bike looks to be in good health..the frame is rusted..the wiring definitely needs work from the ground up. The engine looks good...so far...I intend to start it up in the next few days...fingers crossed..

I have found the VIN: CB1E-2013580. The frame number is the same also. The engine no is: CB1E-2013738. Is there any information anyone can share regarding these numbers? I think the last owner cross drilled the original rotors?? Also the rear locking compartment was correct for the '79?

I have longed for one of these for a while and I hope this will bring me many hours of joy riding and restoring it to factory original condition!!

Pictures attached after a quick wipe down..they are high resolution so they will give a fair bit of detail if zoomed in..

I would like to thank everyone in advance for their help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New member with a barn find

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Hamza.
Decent looking starting point for a restoration.
Originally the locking lid tailpiece would be from an '80 model.
Looks like the front forks and rear shocks are from an early '80s CB900/1100F.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

:text-welcomewave: to the group Hamza.
Congratulations on your find.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

What Steve said - those are nice period upgrades, and I’d suggest keeping them. Factory original has its place, but do does good brakes :-).

Welcome!

:text-welcomewave:
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Thanks everyone! :)

I will be working on this in a few weeks..I am trying to arrange some space so I can get started..I was thinking of upgrading the brakes..is there much difference between the front and rear suspension on a CB900F and the CBX?

Cheers

H

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Welcome! You do have an '83 CB1100F front end already on the bike, with the good brakes. Can't tell if you have the rear twin-piston caliper or not. Nothing more to upgrade there except to maybe rebuild the front forks and all brake m/cs and calipers. The carbs will be by far your biggest headache, and I'm not kidding. Be prepared and keep us posted.

Dave

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

daves79x wrote:Welcome! You do have an '83 CB1100F front end already on the bike, with the good brakes. Can't tell if you have the rear twin-piston caliper or not. Nothing more to upgrade there except to maybe rebuild the front forks and all brake m/cs and calipers. The carbs will be by far your biggest headache, and I'm not kidding. Be prepared and keep us posted.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

I have attached a pic of the rear of the bike...would love your feedback..i am dreading the carbs..any tips would be welcome!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Welcome! You do have an '83 CB1100F front end already on the bike, with the good brakes.

Dave

It's a TRAC fork alright, but the calipers don't look CB1100F to me. Considering the location of the owner, the front end could be anything period Honda.

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxchris »

Welcome from England Hamza, good luck with the restoration, paintwork looks nice ☺

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The rear shocks are 1100F/900F. Rear caliper is twin-piston also, but can't tell if you have the 1100F swingarm. Mike, you are correct that the calipers are not 1100F, but are still twin-piston from the era. They look like the anodized gray ones from some Interceptors. Function the same.

Dave

Return to “New Users - Start Here”