cbx 1000 1979 fork seals

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
Pierre
New Member & Happy To Be Here

cbx 1000 1979 fork seals

Post by Pierre »

My fork seals started leaking (after 35 years), and I immediately proceeded to remove them, thinking that a new set of seals would be easy to obtain. To my surprise were these particular size seals just not available (being 35x45x7). All seals for the cbx 1000 seem to be 35x48x11. On my bike, the fork slider has an insert (and a 'rubber guide') requiring the smaller OD. It has been suggested that I remove this insert, and fit the bigger seals but I am reluctant to do this unless I have no other option. I must state my cbx1000 was one of the very 1st to come to South Africa in 1978, though I understand it is a 1979 model. Has anyone else had this problem, your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks - Pierre

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: cbx 1000 1979 fork seals

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Pierre.
If you don't mind could you provide the build date,frame and engine numbers for our resident inventory collector EMS.
I can't help you out with the fork seals having only seen the larger size.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Welcome Pierre,

Super interesting variant. Let me suggest that you drop a line to Louis Mintrone at http://www.usedCBXParts.com

Louis has seen more variations of more CBXs than just about anyone, and he might know the details of what you've got, and he may have the replacement parts, as that's what he does.

Post a photo if you can, I for one am interested to see this. If you want to email it to me I'll post it for you: use nils@restocycle.com if so.

Best,

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

P.S. I think there are a half-dozen guys from South Africa here.
Nils Menten

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Hi Pierre, welcome. I'm from SA too!

Have you always owned the bike? The 35x45x7 seems to be a common oil seal size, so I'm guessing that the originals were changed at some stage for the more common sizing? It seems strange to me that Honda would put an insert in for the smaller OD. If the depth can accept a 11mm thick seal, I would suggest removing the insert and installing the 35x48x11 from Honda.

Regards,
Mike
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There were NO variants in the '79 fork seals. Your bike had been McGyvered at some time with the insert and the smaller seal. Get the original Honda part, take out the insert and you'll be good to go.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I wonder if you are going to find damage to the sealing surface when you extract those? Can't think of any other reason for someone to "sleeve" a fork stanchion.
Nils Menten

Pierre

Post by Pierre »

Hello Everyone, thanks for your responses.

I should have mentioned, I bought the bike brand-new, the only time it’s been out from under my eyes was at it’s 1000 km service. All other work and services has always been done by myself ……… this is the 1st time I’ve ever worked on the forks.

Mello, you are right, 35X45x7 is a standard oil seal size, but what came out of the fork was a typical “high pressure” fork seal. In fact I had bought a set of 35X45x7 oil seals, thinking of putting them in, but not sure it will work?

Steve, the chassis no. is …… CB12007242, and the engine no. is …… CB1E2007283
The build date must have been around mid 1978

Thanks - Pierre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

For sure not original Honda. I can tell you it wasn't there from the factory. I don't recognize it as aftermarket either, but I've always dealt with OEM. Your bike isn't particularly early - mine is 1917 and I've seen and worked on many lower than that and have never seen a bushing like that. Looks like you can remove what's there and install correct seals.

Dave

Return to “New Users - Start Here”