wont start ive run out of ideas.

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

wont start ive run out of ideas.

Post by wyly »

Today was the big day, after 35 yrs of waiting i got my engine installed, it turns over great but it doesn't even come close to firing.

fuel line is from tank is good

I have good spark at all plugs

I know from reading all the threads on starting this beast can be difficult so I tried giving it a boost and removed the air filter and sprayed starter fluid into it to start the cycle, nothing...not even a hint of ignition.

I would've thought if it was a carburator problem it should have at least fired when I boosted it with starter fluid and then died.

could it be timing issue?

carburator cleaning/rebuild does have me worried, after the rebuilder talked me out sending them to Dave79 to rebuild they encountered a problem with the accelerator pump, they didn't even look at the booklets on carb rebuilding and cleaning I supplied them. Only after repeated suggestions from me did they clean out the check valve (the tech said it was plugged)...was there anything else they could've missed to explain the lack of ignition.

is there something stupidly simple I have overlooked?

12k in a not even a hint of lifein the beast, a very sad day.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

duplicate/thread

Post by wyly »

Last edited by wyly on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: wont start ive run out of ideas.

Post by daves79x »

First I would verify you actually have fuel in the carb bowls and it's not being obstructed. Drain them all - one at a time - and make sure you are getting fuel. If you are, even if the carbs aren't close to perfect, the bike should fire and run almost instantly. Hard starting comes from gas sitting in the bowls for days and weeks at a time.

But almost certain it's timing, and likely not just the static ignition timing. Cam timing and/or primary shaft timing sounds like it might be the problem. First check the static timing - you can do that in a couple of minutes. If that's not close, and you can't easily rotate the backing plate to bring it right in, then the primary shaft timing Is off - kind of a common problem if great care was not taken upon bottom-end reassembly. That will tell you a lot.

If the static timing is right on or can be made right on, then you need to pull the valve cover and check the cam timing. A bit more fuss, but easy to verify once the valve cover is off. I'd be very suspicious of problems in any or all of these areas, given the track record of your technicians.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If it doesn't even sputter on starting fluid, and it has spark, it could be the timing. Spark may come at the wrong point.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

I'm sure you did this correctly but I'll mention it anyway. Do you have the spark plug wires connected to the proper coils for the cyl firing order?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:If it doesn't even sputter on starting fluid, and it has spark, it could be the timing. Spark may come at the wrong point.
That's the first thing that I thought, it should at least fire even briefly, but not a cough or a wheeze. how could the timing be so wrong

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:I'm sure you did this correctly but I'll mention it anyway. Do you have the spark plug wires connected to the proper coils for the cyl firing order?
Yes, I've checked and rechecked the firing order.
I installed new dyna coils so i'll check the wires to the coils to see if theyre firing in the proper sequence..

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Has this motor been apart, cases split, cams out since it has been running?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

tevan wrote:Has this motor been apart, cases split, cams out since it has been running?
Last ran 35yrs ago, comeplete dissasembly and rebuild. Carbs cleaned but quality of cleaning is suspect.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Last edited by wyly on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Check timing , cams in right positions. Oldest service manuals were wrong.... I think Dave pin pointed all of this in another thread.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Last edited by wyly on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Make sure you don't have a retro-fitted vacuum valve on the carbs that's preventing fuel from flowing. Stock '79 carbs didn't have that, but some were fitted later. Assuming no vacuum valve, take the fuel line off the carbs and run fuel straight out of the petcock. Does it flow freely? If so, reattach the line to the carbs and try to fill the carbs. Yes, check all bowls by opening the drain screws one at a time to drain each. If nothing comes out - you have a problem. Either the supply tube is plugged or the float valves are all stuck shut, or the bowls are not venting to let fuel in. But no fuel equals no fire, so find out why. Also make sure your drain lines are not plugged. I've seen that happen many times. This is likely to be an adventure.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You need to combine the threads - this is getting confusing.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Return to “Project Threads”