wont start ive run out of ideas.

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: wont start ive run out of ideas.

Post by daves79x »

We're pulling for you on all accounts.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Condolences on your brother, Wyly.
Hopefully your bike woes are near a conclusion so you go for a ride and forget about all your recent troubles.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:We're pulling for you on all accounts.

Dave
I appreciate the support Dave.

I have keep myself busy today or my brothers sudden passing is going to consume me.
So today I'm going to pull out the carbs and try figure where the problems are. I'll start by cleaning and reinstalling the original float parts.

You asked previously if the carbs were benched tested, I'm not 100% sure what that involves. I know they wete hooked up to a overhead gas supply for several days to check for leaks. I was told each carb was getting a spray of fuel when the linkage was operated.
Is that possible if only number 2 carb has gas in the bowl? Besides a blockage is there anything else that explain only one carb getting gas?
Last edited by wyly on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Condolences on your brother, Wyly.
Hopefully your bike woes are near a conclusion so you go for a ride and forget about all your recent troubles.
Thanks that would've been nice but with winter now approaching in the north now I'm looking at next year before I'll be able to ride.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Wet testing them on the bench will tell you if they are getting fuel. Prop them as they are on the bike and hook up a fuel supply. Check by draining one bowl at a time.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Ok

While mounted on the engine with fuel turned on I opened each bowl, only #2 bowl had fuel.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Dave, while lowering engine I thought I'd have a look under the cam cover and confirm with you that the cam install and timing are good..

I turned the crank to tdc f, cam lobes on 6 side are turned in toward plug ....lobes on #1 side are turned away.
Punch marks on both timing chain gears front and rear are dead even with crankcase.

Bert at Six Center Motoren showed me how to do this last week but im not sure I recall what he pointed out correctly.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Actually the crank should be at TDC - 'T' mark, but for what you are checking, close enough. Yes, sounds like they're correct. As long as #s 1 and 6 cam lobes point in opposite directions @ TDC.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:Actually the crank should be at TDC - 'T' mark, but for what you are checking, close enough. Yes, sounds like they're correct. As long as #s 1 and 6 cam lobes point in opposite directions @ TDC.

Dave
Yeah that was a typo, I have the crank on "T"

Good, at least the biggest worry is out of the way.

I have the carbs out and will be opening the float bowls next to see if I can find something obliviously wrong and reinstall the oem parts.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Opened bowl 1 and 2, there is a difference i don't know why. Holding them upside down the float on 2 sits lower than 1. And 2 doesnt spring back up as quickly as float 1. Significant clue?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Hard to say. You have to remove the float valve and see if it's spring tip still snaps back. See also that the float valve isn't stuck shut in the brass seat.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I have mike Nixon's carb cleaning book would that be sufficient in solving the fuel only in number 2 problem? 5 carbs with stuck valves?

Or will I have to break the 6 pack down for a complete rebuild? Thats a wee bit intimidating. The common fuel line the brings fuel to all the carbs would seem to be source of a blockage but it's big line.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:Hard to say. You have to remove the float valve and see if it's spring tip still snaps back. See also that the float valve isn't stuck shut in the brass seat.

Dave
If all the valves were replaced it's strange 5 would fail. Unless it's the keyster problem you spoke of.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Gas them up on the bench and attach a clear tube to the bowl drains one at a time. Curve it up past the throat and open the drain screw. The level of fuel in the bowl will show in the tube. See what you get on all 6.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Some pics and info on the float level check.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7531&p=57949#p57949

Return to “Project Threads”