After so many long years of sitting... This happens

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

After so many long years of sitting... This happens

Post by akinz »

I bought my first 79 CBX probably 4 years ago now, and never really got around to doing anything with it. It never ran. Was sitting from the previous owner for ?? I was off this week and dedicated it to going through the carbs to try and get this thing fired. After cleaning, checking float levels, wearing out Mike Nixon's Carb book and scrounging the forum here to see what kind of things I may run into I dove in. Through all the work I crossed the fingers after I put everything back together and pushed the starter.... This is what happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlGXOw7 ... e=youtu.be

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: After so many long years of sitting... This happens

Post by daves79x »

Very well done! - Where was your fuel source in the video?

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congratulations!
Isn't it a great way to burn your fingers 6 times?
Clean CBX carbs AND figure out how to post a clip on Youtube? You sir, are on a roll.

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

daves79x wrote:Very well done! - Where was your fuel source in the video?

Dave
It was actually the fuel that was left in the carbs after I assembled and tested them for leaks before I put it on the bike, I didn't think there would be enough fuel in the bowls but my reaction shows what I thought about it!

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Congratulations!
Clean CBX carbs AND figure out how to post a clip on Youtube? You sir, are on a roll.
More than happy to burn my hands 6 times. Feeling all those pipes warm up the same... all after just pulling the carbs and installing them once!

CBX carbs were something new for me but not the Youtube vid. I'm a pro at that ;)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

akinz wrote:
More than happy to burn my hands 6 times. Feeling all those pipes warm up the same... all after just pulling the carbs and installing them once!

CBX carbs were something new for me but not the Youtube vid. I'm a pro at that ;)
Lucky you, a great feeling when it fires up. :clap:

I hope to experience the same jubilation soon. Im waiting for the last two missing parts due to arrive tuesday then I can hit the start button too. It's been 35yrs since i last heard it run so I'll be doing a happy dance if it lites up as easily as yours. :pray:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Yeah I don't know which is more impressive, cleaning the 6 pack or the youtube posting both are like black magic to me.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

How is that bike so quiet with those pipes? How many disc,s are in those mufflers? Clutch rattle, where is the awful...uhm, lovable clutch rattle? :D
Congrat's on the successful carb job.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

Mouse wrote:How is that bike so quiet with those pipes? How many disc,s are in those mufflers? Clutch rattle, where is the awful...uhm, lovable clutch rattle? :D
Congrat's on the successful carb job.

I know!! I didn't really know what to suspect with the supertrapps, but it was such a surprise! And ya the rattle.... There is none!! I'm happy to no end. My 550 sounds like it has a couple ball bearings rolling around in it, it will be interesting to sync it and see if that has a big part it in. The CBX was only idling at about 500rpm, so I'll have to set that, but no problem idling that low!

Thanks for the congratulations all!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't get too excited about no clutch rattle just yet. Upon cold start-up, even the worst offender is pretty quiet. You have to get them good and hot and then evaluate. Not a bad thing or criticism, just the way it is. And only running on gas in the carbs won't tell you much either - there is fuel starvation to some extent almost immediately and you can't tell much with that.

I think it'll be just fine, but you need to get it good and warm by riding it and then you'll know.

Dave

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

Mouse wrote:How is that bike so quiet with those pipes? How many disc,s are in those mufflers? .
Sorry they have 7 discs right now.

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

Ya very true Dave. Just sitting and idling doesn't show much. I'm sure I'll shake out a couple issues on a first ride. I'm just impressed how quickly it started. I don't know how something with 6 cylinders doesn't have to crank a little beforehand.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It will start instantly with fresh gas, but not so much after sitting for a few days. They all do this so don't be surprised. The accelerator pump is your friend in this situation. Read all about hard starting tricks here on the forum.

Dave

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

The bike idled at 500 rpm?
What the crap?
Mine has never idled that low. It stalls out at anything below 900 hot or cold.
Just a friendly warning, If you .. lets say.. decide to run with 13 disc's in , be prepared for... LOUD! ... even with ear plugs in. ;-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

Mouse wrote:The bike idled at 500 rpm?
What the crap?
Mine has never idled that low. It stalls out at anything below 900 hot or cold.
Just a friendly warning, If you .. lets say.. decide to run with 13 disc's in , be prepared for... LOUD! ... even with ear plugs in. ;-)
13 you say? Where can I get more discs?? :D

After I put the tank on, along with everything else I started it up again and she's got a lot of bite it seems as soon as it goes above 2000. I'll see if somehow I can get a video of the first ride with those pipes. I'm a sucker for nice sounding pipes! :thumbup:

Return to “Project Threads”