79 restoration, suggestions/input welcome

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 restoration, suggestions/input welcome

Post by Michael Vidovic »

wyly wrote:
Michael Vidovic wrote: Hi
They look great and sound great. Take a little getting used to. I use earplugs on longer runs-works well and let's you enjoy the music. My nephew won't let me change to the 6 into 2 I've got sitting in the garage, he thinks it sound 'unbelievable'
thanks, great to have feedback from someone who actually has a set of 6x6. Part of my motivation for 6x6 is appearance everyone I ask chooses them over the 6x2. Another motivator are my three neighbours, I'd love to have something loud enough to wake and annoy the f*** out of them. One neighbour has two dogs that are out at all hours of the night barking at anything that moves and two other neighbours that think it's acceptable to warm up or cool down their Harley wannabe's for a half hour at a time, often at 7am or late at night. That constant thumping has become really annoying after 5 or 6 years.
Go with the six into six. I have a harley as well, still love riding it but the CBX with six pipes is the duck's guts, looks and delivers. I don't know if you have the stickers over there 'LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES' but it is true. Also from any angle they look like they mean business.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I find myself becoming more and more fond of the looks of the stock exhaust the more bikes I look at. I prefer it to the 6-into-6 Pipemaster setup, but there's absolutely no doubt that the Pipemaster exhaust is seriously awesome.

The way I look at the cost of your bike project is that no matter what you do, it'll be way cheaper than your kid's dental work and a hell of a lot more fun! For a bike as close to original as yours, in principle I'd like to see as little restoration done as possible, but you have to balance that against making it safe and comfortable to ride.

RaceTech emulators properly set up can make a world of difference to how a bike handles, I've put them on a few bikes and never regretted it - I don't see why a CBX would be any different. That change, like your overbore repair, would never be visible to anyone including a concours judge - it can be our secret if you like. Something that a concours judge might see but the rest of the world would not notice is a switch to EBC HH brake pads, which are a very significant bang-for-buck improvement in my experience.

There is a whole spectrum of approaches you can take, from leaving stuff original & unrestored, through spiffing things up, doing stealth mods, period-correct upgrades, modern stuff that doesn't stand out too much, or full-on custom. Only you can decide what's right for you, and how much expenditure can be approved by or snuck past your wife. :P
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “Project Threads”