79 Dragbike resto

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 Dragbike resto

Post by Gearheadgregg »

EMS wrote:
asacuta wrote: That's also how I did it. I'll buy a used car, but used bikes are off my list.
I wouldn't take it that far. Of the 16 bikes I own, I bought only 5 new. I would have missed out on a lot of great bikes, if I restricted myself to buying new ones only. Some of them I could not have afforded when they were new.
I guess, I was just lucky with the 79 CBX. 8)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Very cool project - watching with interest.

I love that sidestand. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2923.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
had to put this on hold for a bit just moved into the country , building new shop and getting ready to pour a slab soon , rolled the Z down to the basement for a temp shop to finish, starting body work and paint prep this next week, bike is super Light,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Looking good - but one weight concession I'd make is a set of shocks.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Looking good - but one weight concession I'd make is a set of shocks.

Dave
Not if he wants to drag-race it...

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

EMS wrote:
daves79x wrote:Looking good - but one weight concession I'd make is a set of shocks.

Dave
Not if he wants to drag-race it...
LOL yep ! Shocks are going on soon, closest 1/4 mile track is in New Hampshire 3+ hrs away ... most likely be a 11 1/2 shock or maybe 12", and will prolly drop the front down a inch also,,this is my Harley Bar hopper hahahahaha, i will ride it on the street and these roads up here in New England are real bad from the plows last winter , we have Bike nights at several locations may put the wheelie bars on for a smile one knight :D

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

That is one beautiful piece of history that you have !!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The bike is super light from all the brake rotor meat that is missing.
How many drill bits was that?

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2890.JPG
I know huh ? purchased the bike with a single disk up front , so i took it to my local machine shop for the pattern match, Puts a whole new meaning to the thought of UN-sprung weight ? Kosman wheels hubs sprocket and disk 160-60-18 rear and 18" up front
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2869.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG
New wire harness, replaced hand controls, New double rear bearings and front installed
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3323.JPG
IMG_3002.JPG[[attachment=1]IMG_3002.JPG
On vacation this week, I forgot i had this thread going lol,,forget lots of things now days :shock: ,,,Never got the paper work for the motor receipts "no surprise" Head was ported Has Megacams , Big bore kit not confirmed , I will pull the motor this winter and post, No leaks, head bolts were not acorn nuts and no oil seepage is good news ,,New wheel bearings Double on rear drive chain side ,Power coated Kosman rims, frame, swingarm and all bits , Bronze bushings in swingarm, Rebuilt complete brake system added duel Front disk back on, New Wire harness Thanks FaldownPhil,, and Lots of help from Louis CBX guru, Complete Carb rebuild with Vitron rubber and new jets,,, larger of coarse ,, New rear aluminum 40 tooth kosman sprocket and 70 lb 630 chain ,, New tires 160 rear and 18" up front ,added factory gauges back and replaced all engine gaskets and valve cover with garment rubber , new battery , Added front and rear factory turn signals back on, replace seat and covered , New paint tins, new switch controls also , And added rear 11.1/2 shocks much better ride than struts :D , Conclusion first push of the starter button instant start and stayed running strong ! kinda surprised me ! Took up and down the street several times to work out small bugs with sticking rear caliper fixed it ,Bike is very responsive with the gearing like it has 5 first gears, Idle is strong at 900 rpm and very smooth through the RPM range , No flat-spots at any RPM with the pods ? Stab it in any gear and hang on ,Or slow roll on's power is strong . Saved another CBX it was abused poor thing lol Time to ride !
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

That bike looks better every time I see it. I think I am in love :-)
Very Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Gregg, I can make you whatever shocks you want, and we will tune it for drag racing while we're at it too. Let me know if I can help.

Good luck with the new digs too - are you still in Rhode Island?

Best,

Nils
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

NobleHops wrote:Gregg, I can make you whatever shocks you want, and we will tune it for drag racing while we're at it too. Let me know if I can help.

Good luck with the new digs too - are you still in Rhode Island?

Best,

Nils
Nils interested in your shocks , do you have any pics or info of you setups ? i was having a hard time finding 11 1/2 shocks for the the CBX , Yes still in Rhode island ,If my reading is correct you are from Mass ? Hope you are enjoying the Desert, Spent most my life at the Colorado river boating and skiing in AZ and Nevada as a kid and with my kids, Had lots of Hot rod boats. sending you a PM with my E mail for shocks , Greg

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

FalldownPhil wrote:That bike looks better every time I see it. I think I am in love :-)
Very Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil, You have a amazing collection of bikes,, I may not always comment but i do look real hard at you toys! Ride safe . Greg

Return to “Project Threads”