79 Dragbike resto

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 Dragbike resto

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Made a short Vid yesterday, Power is strong all through the RPM range , No flatspot at all with Pods .... just smooth acceleration in any gear, Aluminum rear gear set with no dampers sure gives a punch , kinda like 5 first gears ! What a Fun ride and sound !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Y-CvWRw1Q

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

That sounds mighty fine from here.
It must feel great to take it for a ride !!
Thanks,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Greg, i slowly got a sore neck from watching it[haha] but it sounds great.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Still need to verify what big bore kit it has, Looks like that is gonna be sooner than expected, Runs amazing no leaks all the candles are lite up,,BUT !!! proof it was Drag raced ...Under hard acceleration in First gear it pops OUT of gear , looks like the Dogs are shot, Hoping to flip the motor upside down this winter without pulling the Top end apart and replacing gear as needed, should be able to check bore then , Anyone pulled the bottom case off this way for repair ?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I am pretty sure you can do it with top end on. If you happen to need trans. parts I have them. Just pm me.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

tevan wrote:I am pretty sure you can do it with top end on. If you happen to need trans. parts I have them. Just pm me.
Thanks, think i seen a article here about bottom case removal ,I will give you a PM later ,,gonna limp around for the next few rides , it has not jumped out for the last 4 or five trips, But i really want to hammer it in First gear !! LOL

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Take a look at using the 81/82 gear set. The dogs are undercut and will work in the 79/80. I hope so as I put 82 gear set in my 80 and it shifts very nice.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

CopperCollar wrote:Take a look at using the 81/82 gear set. The dogs are undercut and will work in the 79/80. I hope so as I put 82 gear set in my 80 and it shifts very nice.

Mike
Nice tip ! Sounds like a good idea .Thanks !

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3332.JPG
Couple more pics,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Really nice machine, Greg. Two things spring immediately to mind, for me.

Thing 1) Retaining or restoring the period mods of those bikes that went in that direction long ago is, arguably, as important as retaining (or restoring) some number of them in their original state. Yours is a fine example of the "dark side".

Thing 2) Since I have those exact pipes (RC Eng) head to tail, I'm really looking forward to having them in full song.

(What's that bracket on the left side over the front sprocket cover?)
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

The bracket is part of the air-shifter mechanism that Gregg retained from the drag strip days.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Correct , "Air shifter", Derrell looking forward to seeing your project put back together, Ya know these bikes look good in so many different Mods, Trying to clean up "Photo Bucket" divorce and putting pictures back were they were wiped out lol, The Air shifter will be installed this summer with bottle, they are very standard to purchase still today, Also will be installing NOS this summer , The only regret i have was not taking the Wheelie bar with me when purchased, Pingle makes them still, I have a extension pad on my sidestand that is easy removal for struts height difference when installed . Greg

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_3323.JPG
Well back to the drawing board and down to the basement, pulling the motor tomorrow and splitting the case open upside down, fix or replace trans first gear is still popping out, Nope it did not fix itself lol. oh well. like most it is good to have other bikes to ride , this has been off the road for a year almost with fuel drained before climate control storage. you should have seen me ride it own that ramp :laughing-rollingyellow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Too bad about the transmission, Greg.

I hope you had a couple buddies nearby assisting or at least ready to call 911 when you used that "ramp". haha.
How about a video when it is time to go back up.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The big part of the job is removing the engine. Once split, the transmission is right there - the first thing you come to. Look for wear on the sliding gears where the shift forks ride, and also excessive wear on the forks. Then any obvious damage to the gears and engagement dogs. Good used parts are readily available. Try to get a used transmission complete from a late model - the shift forks are a better design. Any parts will mix and match as you need.

Dave

Return to “Project Threads”