79 Dragbike resto

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 Dragbike resto

Post by bikeymikey748 »

On another subject, why are so many of the cylinder head nuts ( in the photo with the valve cover removed ) NOT cap nuts ? Won't that be an issue, won't oil work it's way past the threads and down the studs ?

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

bikeymikey748 wrote:On another subject, why are so many of the cylinder head nuts ( in the photo with the valve cover removed ) NOT cap nuts ? Won't that be an issue, won't oil work it's way past the threads and down the studs ?
Good catch ! i am new to the CBX but i did just do a degrease and it really was not too bad around the barrels for oil residue ..gonna take a closer look tomorrow and see if there is any sealant on the threads..thanks for the close look !

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

EMS wrote:I don't think Bob is a member. Doesn't matter, though. He is a great guy to deal with and a long-time CBXer.
I had bronze bushings installed in a stock 79 swingarm and they were a huge improvement over the (deteriorated) plastic inserts.
You can take it up a notch and go for the needle bearing kit that Bob probably sells too.
good to know, he just returned my call for stock, and i purchased a set , Bob is straight up guy and loves his CBX , enjoyed talking with him cool dude ! said he was gonna express the bushings to me

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2829.JPG
more powder coat parts completed, Factory Gauges showed up this week with 79 rear tail light
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Greg, i am assuming the plate on the bottom of the swingarm is for a wheelie bar?

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2824.JPG
Yes it is, i wrestled with using the CB1100 swingarm, but after i realized it was steel not aluminum just figured this stock swingarm ain't fell off yet and most likely is lighter, the wheelie bar has four links, bottom of swingarm shown and one on each of the solid aluminum struts, will have to switch off the 11" shocks for drag race only, and use struts if wheelie bar is applied, trying to make it street-able.......kinda lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2889.JPG
Re-installed dual disk for street again
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Looking good! Looks like you have sort of a throttle cable issue. Seems you have the sport kit bars and sport kit throttle cables, but a high-bar throttle/switch. Be great if you found the correct one - maybe lurking in some spare parts? Should be this:

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Lots to fine tune Dave, this bike was a mess ,more so than i thought with being stripped down before i purchased, if you look close also needs shorter brake line for sport bars, the more i get into this project the more disappointed i get at the previous owner, but i guess most of us trying to bring these back to life get frustrated too..like everyone always searching for stuff, and right in the middle of this we purchased a new property and doing a complete Kitchen remodel and working 6 days a week and moving in 2 weeks..i am feeling my age............ :-) Thanks for the picture

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Greg, with all that going on i am amazed you get anything done on the bike.
I am sure P.O.S. Previous Owner Syndrome has given us all a pain in the arse/wallet.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote: I am sure P.O.S. Previous Owner Syndrome has given us all a pain in the arse/wallet.

I bought mine new...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

EMS wrote:
steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote: I am sure P.O.S. Previous Owner Syndrome has given us all a pain in the arse/wallet.

I bought mine new...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's also how I did it. I'll buy a used car, but used bikes are off my list.
Al

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

asacuta wrote: That's also how I did it. I'll buy a used car, but used bikes are off my list.
I wouldn't take it that far. Of the 16 bikes I own, I bought only 5 new. I would have missed out on a lot of great bikes, if I restricted myself to buying new ones only. Some of them I could not have afforded when they were new.
I guess, I was just lucky with the 79 CBX. 8)

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

I fortunately never ran into the affordability problem for bikes, but there aren't that many that appeal to me, so the list is short. On the other hand, most of the cars I want have to be used, and even then, some would be impossible.
Al

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Greg, with all that going on i am amazed you get anything done on the bike.
I am sure P.O.S. Previous Owner Syndrome has given us all a pain in the arse/wallet.
you got that right lol...P.O.S ..and after the winter we had up here i am trying to recover from PMS..."parked motorcycle syndrome" hope to get out this weekend for some fresh air :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Return to “Project Threads”