999 SIX Build

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

999 SIX Build

Post by Wiskey Tango Foxtrot »

Hi all , I'm new here , and enjoy the info this site has to offer. I started a project build and it was in my intro to the site ,I figured I would start a thread on the build as the intro has taken a left turn and is currently in Australia somewhere ? The bike . well , it was given to me as the owner had no time or $ to spend on it and it was sitting in a lot with a tarp over it for the last 10 or so years. Being an enthusiast , and remembering when I first heard a CBX with a 6 into 1 pipe on it , like everyone on here I said to myself I HAVE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE BEFORE I DIE ! Well I don't think I'm dying just yet , but here's the bike in my basement , and the ideas just wouldn't stop ,and neither would the amount of cash out the door. Being the owner of 2 Ducati 999R's (1 for track and 1 for street) I wanted to see if I could make a 999 CBX cross. I had many spare or not so spare parts for my bikes and though I could make some us of them in this build.

While using most of the CBX frame I plan on grafting on as much 999 parts as possible , but still want it to be functional as well as a good looking complete bike. I have some good people here that are working with me on this project and I probably couldn't do it without them. Or if I did do it without them, I would be sitting in the dark right now as the power bill would not have been paid this month.

So far I've had the original head stock ploughed off the frame and an eccentric 999R head now replaces it (just tacked in for now ) Buddy has made me a new swing arm pivot rod and spacer for the 999 swing arm. I'm now fiddling with the shock tower mount for the rear of the bike ( I know now that I should have paid more attention in geometry in school) could barely spell that ! My vision ,in the end will be a Ducati 999R with a CBX 6 motor protruding out through the fairings ? I also want to keep the stock white paint scheme with the black ,blue and light blue stripe just so we don't forget where this came from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I took the "Short Bus" to school because they told me it was faster.....what did they tell you ?

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 999 SIX Build

Head stock tacked into place and now working on the shock tower placement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I took the "Short Bus" to school because they told me it was faster.....what did they tell you ?

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Looks like a nice project, I wish you well !!
As a point of interest only, the owner of this CBX said that it began life as a 1098 Duc. I saw it a week or two ago.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9193

Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:Hi all , I'm new here , and enjoy the info this site has to offer. I started a project build and it was in my intro to the site ,I figured I would start a thread on the build as the intro has taken a left turn and is currently in Australia somewhere ? .
Cool, WTF,! I was going to suggest the moderators move the thread here in order to get a better exposure. The new member intro section may not be the best place to discuss a project like this at length. 8)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Most awesome build. I learned today that there is a guy local to me with a Ducati/CBX hybrid, hope to meet him soon. Would be happy to send him your way once I do if that'd be helpful.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote:Most awesome build. I learned today that there is a guy local to me with a Ducati/CBX hybrid, hope to meet him soon. Would be happy to send him your way once I do if that'd be helpful.

N.
Isn't this the IVI CBX in another thread? Phil stated it started life as a 1098?? :think:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:
NobleHops wrote:Most awesome build. I learned today that there is a guy local to me with a Ducati/CBX hybrid, hope to meet him soon. Would be happy to send him your way once I do if that'd be helpful.

N.
Isn't this the IVI CBX in another thread? Phil stated it started life as a 1098?? :think:
I don't know Mike. This is supposedly a Tucson guy.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

:o :o What are you doing up this early.... :o

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote::o :o What are you doing up this early.... :o

:evil:

I was pooped yesterday, had a shower before dinner and laid down for a few minutes. My wife did not wake me up! Next stop - 2:30 AM.
Nils Menten

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

The one time consuming thing with this build( at this stage) is, the tank is connected to the seat , the seat is connected to the subframe , the subframe is connected to the shock tower , and they all need to be in their proper place or something is going to look like shite ! I've almost got the shock tower part in place but it's to far to the back of the bike(needs to come ahead 2-3 inches) and when I pull it ahead that 2-3 inches, pieces of the shock tower that I have yet to cut off get in the way of the CBX frame making it very hard (not impossible) to get a idea of what the finished product will look and work like ? dimensions/calibrations/ geometry these are things I should have paid more attention to in school.....but who knew ?

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Mike,
I saw the IVI bike here in So.Cal. at Newcombs Ranch on the Angeles Crest Hwy.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yeah, I wasn't fully awake yet.....I "forgot" that Nils moved to AZ.... :roll:

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Well, get used to a FEW head scratching moments over the next while. Did you measure the difference in length ( between the two different forks) ? Just curious.
This is great, now I'll have some reading material, this coming winter. Best of luck, and keep those posts coming 8)

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

As a matter in fact I did .......but not till EMS mentioned it . The 2010 multi S fork would work Perfect but try to find a set ? Wow , I had no idea a multi fork was sooooo unobtainum ? in Ohlins anyway. I do have a couple cures for a shorter fork , I'll just have to cross that raging river when I get to it.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:As a matter in fact I did .......but not till EMS mentioned it . The 2010 multi S fork would work Perfect but try to find a set ? Wow , I had no idea a multi fork was sooooo unobtainum ? in Ohlins anyway. I do have a couple cures for a shorter fork , I'll just have to cross that raging river when I get to it.
Marzocchi (sp?) makes tons of fork tubes for tons of bikes. Seems like if you have a fork with good internals in hand but just need it to be a bit longer, replacement fork tubes to length might be the path of least resistance.

Also Forking by Frank here in the USA.

N.
Nils Menten

Return to “Project Threads”