Japan made 80

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Japan made 80

Post by CopperCollar »

They are indeed Steve.

I used a glass bead blaster followed with a green scotch pad saturated with Back To Black.

I am pretty happy with the results.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

CopperCollar wrote:They are indeed Steve.

I used a glass bead blaster followed with a green scotch pad saturated with Back To Black.

I am pretty happy with the results.

Mike
Great technique, I will try it!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you don't have a bead blaster, you can use AAA steel wool soaked in elbow grease...!

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Here is the url:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9335

I tried the steel wool method Mike and you are right about elbow grease. I still had a hard time getting the old spray paint out of the STANLEY lettering. I just couldn't get it out so the bead blaster was a last resort, it was either going to work or ruin the housing.

I now wonder if one could achieve the same results with a soda blaster, they are easy to build.

Another option would be an automotive machine shop.

It took less than 15 min to blast all that old paint and the oxidation off the three housings. I figure that would be about 25$ and worth it for me.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Soon I'll have the rolling frame done. I think that is the most labor intensive and tedious part of a restoration.

Looking forward to rebuilding the motor. That should be relaxing compared to the rolling frame.

I don't think I will get crazy with the engine, just a bore job, new gaskets and seals. I'll look at the valves and guides and see if I can get away with lapping the valves and replacing the stem seals. I am hoping the crank will spec okay. I have a new primary drive chain and few used A and B chains that are in nice shape.This engine has who knows how many miles on it. The odometer read 75,000 but then it's a 79 model speedo on an 80. Unfortunately this bike looked like every one of those miles on the odometer belonged to it. It wasn't until after I bought it that I found out it was in a junkyard and the last owner bought it as a spares bike.

It's a little further than this picture but certainly a rolling chassis now.

Mike

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Looks great, Mike.
The idea of rebuilding a CBX engine being the "relaxing" part of a resto sure is a foreign concept to me.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'll have to agree with Mike - getting the rolling chassis done is the biggest relief. Engine work is pretty straightforward and it's a bit relaxing to sit at your bench instead of standing on your head half the time. Great looking bike!

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Damn. You are getting so amazingly good at this stuff Mike. That looks fantastic.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike: In addition to my previous comments, you should be extra-proud of saving what would have been, in most guy's opinions, a pile of parts to be rifled through. Projects like this really do give encouragement to others contemplating similar efforts, but don't know if it's even possible. Thanks for again showing that it indeed is possible and very rewarding.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

NobleHops wrote:Damn. You are getting so amazingly good at this stuff Mike. That looks fantastic.

N.

+1

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Black looks amazing, nice build !

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I am still an amateur at this. I read the post and learn from many others here. When it comes to restoring the CBX this site is the most informative and easiest to navigate. A lot of old timers here that are always willing to take time and help.

One new thing I learned is the left front brake caliper has no brake line notch as compared to the right which does. Took me a bit of time looking at pictures and bikes to discover this is normal.

I really am looking forward to rebuilding the engine.

Thank you all for the encouragement and kudos.

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike: We're all amateurs at this. Some have just been at it a bit longer. Yes, you are correct about the brakes - it's amazing all the little things you discover about these things. You have taken on a couple of pretty daunting projects and certainly prove it can be done!

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Finally ! getting back after this 80 CBX. I now find parts I would toss into a parts bin I now am refurbishing. I have time on my hands now and so I can spend hours building up a part for reuse.

This engine saw some time sliding on the pavement and of course engine rash resulted. One item I have refurbed is the valve cover, spend a 100 or so dollars on a good cover or....

This is after building up and hand machining the cover:

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Reviewing my old post I saw I never posted the date stamp from the engine:

Return to “Project Threads”