The forgotten CBX

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: The forgotten CBX

Post by daves79x »

I'm sure guys have done this swap and had no problems - I was just pointing out that there is a difference and you may want to note that.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Quite the challenge there but I am glad to see another one saved from the parts bin.

Look forward to reading more of your adventures.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

DC354
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by DC354 »

A little update on the bike. The head was all put back together and the carbs have been cleaned and seem to be functioning.
Unfortunately, I ran out of time and couldn't quite put it all back together to try and fire it. I was able to find a new front master cylinder, and got the front brake working again. I can't seem to find a used rear master anywhere though... I found some Chinese ones on eBay for various cb series that look fairly similar. Anyone know if these will work? Or where I can track down an entire unit? I am avoiding rebuilding it. Thing is siezed beyond belief.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/190836311885?nav=SEARCH

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

If you're open to fitting something that's not the precise stock CBX master, I'd advocate getting a new OEM unit from another bike rather than a cheapie knockoff. I'm not against cheapie knockoffs generally, but when it comes to brakes I don't think it's worth the risk.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

750F, 900F and 1100F rear masters will work, but don't have the angled inlet. Don't give up on yours - drill the piston out until there's not much left and it will free up. Soak it with lots of penetrating oil. Then hone the bore with a Scotchbrite pad or ball and it will likely rebuild just fine.

Dave

DC354

Post by DC354 »

Dave, you're my hero. CBX guru Over Here!!!

DC354

Post by DC354 »

Finished putting the bike back together and was ready to try and turn it over hoping for a fart or two yesterday. Well, we got that fart or two... Shortly after it caught fire from the exhaust and some slightly oily/gasoline soaked rags... We where able to put it out, but not before losing pretty much all of our wiring up the frame. So, now i get to replace all of that, plus some oil and fuel lines... At least i didn't burn the shop down i guess!

On the bright side, It sounds like it's ready to run and still has some potential. Sorry, i did not take any pictures. You would probably cry if you saw them anyways.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Are you saying you were trying to fire it w/out an exhaust fitted? Not a good idea even if you have no combustibles near. But I guess you know that now. Hope all gets sorted and your next attempt goes better.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Oh jeez, I am sorry to hear that. I have an old but believed-to-be-good wiring harness that Tom N gave me when he left for the middle east. Can I donate it to your recovery?

I keep a fire extinguisher very nearby with the pin pulled when I fire up a machine I just put back together. I bet you will now too.

Let me know on the harness.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

DC354

Post by DC354 »

Dave, the exhaust was straight piped. Only had the headers. I cut the mufflers off because they where full of rust, dead mice, etc. I didn't want to sink money into a new exhaust system before I knew if it was a bucket of worms or not. Guess I'll be getting one now!..

N. I will most definitely be keeping one around! There was one in the shop, but in the heat of the moment, (pun intended) we didn't know where it was and found some water instead. If you would like to donate the harness, I would definitely accept it! There seem to be plenty available online though too. I'll send you a private message!
Thanks guys.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

DC354 wrote:Dave, the exhaust was straight piped. Only had the headers. I cut the mufflers off because they where full of rust, dead mice, etc. I didn't want to sink money into a new exhaust system before I knew if it was a bucket of worms or not. Guess I'll be getting one now!..

N. I will most definitely be keeping one around! There was one in the shop, but in the heat of the moment, (pun intended) we didn't know where it was and found some water instead. If you would like to donate the harness, I would definitely accept it! There seem to be plenty available online though too. I'll send you a private message!
Thanks guys.
I'd be happy to pass that along. Tom gave me that for free in a batch of other stuff I purchased from him, so I'll pass it along to you. Need a couple of days to mail, hope that's OK.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Project Threads”