Suspension Upgrades

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Postby Syscrush » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:50 pm

wyly wrote:which is what I found when took out a BMW R1200R for test ride, I expected something much better than my RaceTech equipped CBX but no, on smooth to moderate pavement the I found little difference...I wasn't allowed to test the R1200R on really rough roads and aggressive riding but I fully expect that's where it's superior suspension will become evident...

A damping rod fork will feel perfect for probably 70% of the real-world riding on public roads. RTCE's get you to probably 90%. Then from there you can spend thousands getting to 95%, and tens of thousands chasing that last 5%.

My approach is to get it to about 97% and then just avoid the other 3% of riding conditions by being a bit less of a tool than what I would ideally like. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.
User avatar
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 1205
Images: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:29 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Postby wyly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm

considered Race tech for my GS1150ef but then I checked their product listings and there's nothing for the 84, 85 or 86 ...pre 84 GS1100 yes and for the GSX-R1100 86 ...I think it's maybe because of the anti dive feature of the 84-86 GS1150e forks...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage
User avatar
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 1477
Images: 191
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:20 pm
Location: Calgary Canada

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Postby Syscrush » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:53 am

Bike is in the shop getting new Braking CM55 pads. I'm dying to see how that front end works once the new pads are properly bedded in.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.
User avatar
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 1205
Images: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:29 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Postby Syscrush » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:19 am

OK, here's the initial impression of those CM55 pads...

For the past ~20 years EBC HH pads have been my go-to replacement for OEM pads. I have found that for how I ride (98% street), they provide a great mix of feedback, initial bite, power, and modulation. They made a difference I appreciated on budget Suzuki bikes (Katana and SV650), my high-spec bike (Duke 690 with 4-pad radial Brembo), and my vintage bike (CBX with CB1100F wheels and calipers). Of those, the SV was the only one that did track duty, but the SV, Katana, and Duke all did time in GA and the Carolinas exploring beautiful twisty mountain roads. They've also all done lots of commuting with plenty of congested stop & go. I like the EBC HH and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Recently, I upgraded my CBX from the CB1100F brakes to 65mm axial mount Brembo 4-piston calipers and GSX-R1000 310mm rotors. The Brembo retailer who helped me identify the specific model of used calipers I had doesn't carry EBC, but he does carry Braking and recommended the CM55 pads. He was helpful to me, so I wanted to send a bit of business his way - also I was curious about what I might have been missing out on.

The CM55's went on last week, and they are a big improvement over the OEM Brembo pads that were on there. The old pads were of unknown provenance, though, and may have had some contamination by oil, grease, or brake fluid. I can't be sure as I got them used with the calipers.

In any case, basically any praise I'd give to the EBC HH pads also applies to the Braking CM55. It's a very sweet pad and like the HH, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

For me, it's basically a toss-up between the two. I don't think that there's a big difference in price or performance. Either one is a worthy upgrade from stock, IMO.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.
User avatar
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 1205
Images: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:29 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Previous

Return to Project Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests