[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
The International CBX Owners Association • View topic - Suspension Upgrades

Suspension Upgrades

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Postby Syscrush » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby EMS » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Stop and go traffic is more of a problem than ambient temperature 8) I had bikes running in the red temperature zone here in Ohio when caught in traffic jams on a freeway. :!:
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Syscrush » Wed May 06, 2015 8:31 am

Phil in Toronto
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Syscrush » Fri May 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Tonight was the first time riding 2-up since the new front end and brakes went on. Did a mix of in-town and moderate highway speeds, and I remain quite pleased with how everything is working together (although it still needs some dialing in).
Phil in Toronto
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby wyly » Thu May 14, 2015 9:23 pm

CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Syscrush » Sun May 17, 2015 11:14 am

Yesterday my wife and I went for a short ride 2-up to go look at some furniture and enjoy the weather. 3 things became apparent:

1. She said she couldn't believe how much better the bike feels with the new front end - even as a passenger. Her bike is a Ducati Monster, so she's pretty attuned to bike handling.

2. A dude who knows more than average about bikes was checking it out for a while as we looked at furniture. He had left but when he saw us coming out carrying helmets, he doubled back to talk about the bike. He recognized the brakes and swingarm were not stock, but as I was going through the list of mods I realized "Hey, there's been a lot of work done on this thing!"

3. I really REALLY need to clean it. I was embarrassed as hell pointing out mods that had been made as the beautiful sunshine was illuminating dust and bird crap. My cover has been shipped, I'll do a good clean as soon as it arrives.
Phil in Toronto
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby wyly » Sun May 17, 2015 12:43 pm

CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby cross » Sun May 17, 2015 1:18 pm

It's amazing how with even smallest upgrade like rear shock transforms this bikes behaviour, I love it
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'03 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Syscrush » Mon May 18, 2015 10:03 am

Phil in Toronto
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Syscrush » Sun May 24, 2015 9:12 pm

OK, there are some tweaks still left to do (I have new Dyna coils & wires here, and some braided wire covers on order, for example), and this was not a very thorough clean, but at least it's at a level now where I don't have to feel ashamed of it.

Here are some current pics and a bit of a summary of the mods that have been done. Click for full-size:

Hindle muffler on Gary Wolf 6-2-1 header. This muffler is the "Stealth" core with their dB killer insert and the Euro tip in stainless.

310mm GSX-R1000 rotors on anodized adapters, Brembo 4-piston radial calipers on powdercoated adapters, 39mm forks with AK-20 full cartridge internals adjustable for compression & rebound.

Custom chainguard cut from 1/8" wall rectangular aluminum stock, plus fancy chain & SuperSprox sprocket.

New SpeedHut electronic gauges designed to suit my needs and hopefully look like they belong on the bike.

LSL Superbike bend 1-1/8" bars in KTM Duke 690 risers on a custom triple clamp topped by a KTM-supplied GPS mount.

39mm forks with cartridge internals, custom triples with 10mm additional offset, and SuperBrace.

Earl's 13-row oil cooler with braided A/N-6 lines and 190F thermostat.

YSS 4-way adjustable shocks custom sprung and valved.

Knight Designs lowering pegs (needed some tweaks to fit).

CBX-tras alternator upgrade.
Phil in Toronto
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby steve murdoch icoa #5322 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:49 am

Great looking cockpit on your bike, Phil.
Bike sure looks clean to me.
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Syscrush » Mon May 25, 2015 8:48 am

Phil in Toronto
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby wyly » Mon May 25, 2015 9:49 am

Yeah, l love the instrument cluster too. Out standing work overall.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Jeff Bennetts » Mon May 25, 2015 10:18 am

Stellar outcome Phil.
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Postby Syscrush » Mon May 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Now it's down to some comparatively little stuff (dialing in the suspension, dyno tune for the carbs, new coils & plug wires, ceramic coating the exhaust, upgrading brake pads) and just having fun on it.

I can't tell you how badly I wanna convert this thing to closed-loop EFI with a catalytic converter. Hopefully a good dyno tune will get it running (and cold-starting) well enough to put that out of my mind. But it looks like I'm gonna keep this thing long-term so in a way it would be stupid NOT to do it! :lol:

Really what I wanna do next is put a few 10's of thousands of miles on it! I really wish I could make it to the rally this year, but it's not in the cards.
Phil in Toronto
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Threads