'Diamond in the rough'

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 'Diamond in the rough'

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

That hot rod SR of yours should bring a good chunk of change in the spring[hopefully in about 3 short months].
Do you know Joe Carriere? He lives near me and has been deep in the SR scene for years. He has a highly custom one for sale for $5500. Quite ambitious on the pricing i think but a nice bike.
Whatever you do don't go on YouTube looking for SixCenter clips. An hour will be lost in no tome.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

I think both Louis and Bill (Tim's) sell refurbished cam chain tensioners with new wear parts...
I'm still waiting on them to get back to me. I'll give it a bit more, but I'm an impatient sort when I need to get something moving. I'de prefer to deal with Tim's, but Steve's lead looks good too, and I've already got e-mails from those folks.
That hot rod SR of yours should bring a good chunk of change in the spring[hopefully in about 3 short months].
Do you know Joe Carriere? He lives near me and has been deep in the SR scene for years. He has a highly custom one for sale for $5500. Quite ambitious on the pricing i think but a nice bike.
Thanks for thinking that, Steve.You know, I think I exchanged some e-mails with Joe.I saw his advert on Kijiji and wrote to see what sort of response he was getting ( nice job on his SR BTW.) Then my buddy,Gordie, ran into him at the Toronto show (just after New Years) and they had a chat.Apparently, he had paid an inexpensive fee and got to park the SR in one of the halls for the show's duration ( and ,hopefully attract an interested party).I don't know how he made out in the end. The last offer I turned down for my SR was $5,000.00, and that was before I grafted on the GSXR ( hmmm, sound familiar :-) ) front end ,and RZ350 rear monoshock ( did I mention it was in Cycle Canada/MotoJournal two times?? 8) ).Shameless self-promotion, I know, but you play the hand you're dealt, right?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I did the same thing a couple years ago with an '80 CBX that was not generating any offers. Made a contact and sold it the following week.
Even though it worked i would not do it again, too much of a used car salesman vibe.
Although Joe does excellent work i am not a big fan. Too full of himself for my tastes.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Well, I took the pistons & cylinders to the machine shop this morning. I carted along the service manual. Do you think we could find any mention (other than service LIMIT) of what the piston to cylinder clearances should be?
The answer is no. He says he's confidant that 0.002" would be a good clearance, unless I can provide any other specs. He's waiting on my reply.
Can anyone confirm 0.002", or have other specs?
Thanks....Mike C

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are correct that the service manual only shows the limit of .004 inch. I'm thinking .002 is OK for a new set-up, but it possibly matters what pistons you are using (forged require a bit more room) and if you are going big-bore or just a size over. Anyway, Preston is the guy to call. Look him up here and PM him. I actually think he even posted his number some time back. He does all kinds of boring for CBXs and knows what works.

Dave

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Mike -

FWIW, I was searching for exactly that tidbit of info to get my 900F bored out. The results of my search:

The 82 CBX, 1100F, and 750F manuals all have the dash (-) where the clearance should be listed.

The 900F manual lists piston to wall clearance as .0004" - .002".

All above manuals show a service limit of .004" (or .0039" in the 1100F manual)

I called Wiseco (putting in a 985 big bore kit 8) ) and they specified .002".

My machine shop guy said the .0004" is tight, but he has done them that tight at the customers request, and it has worked but that he likes to go with .002".

I chose to use Wiseco's .002"

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I just wonder.... I see a lot of dimensions listed in the Honda manuals. But they are always in mm (metric). How do you come up with the dimensions in "inches". Are you guys just calculating them?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

My CBX manuals list every measurement is both mm and inches. Are yours European editions only?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:My CBX manuals list every measurement is both mm and inches. Are yours European editions only?
I have both. But I mainly use the multi-language version as the German part is easier for me to follow, especially some of the technical terms in detail. Never paid attention that the US version shows both units..... :oops:

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

I just wonder.... I see a lot of dimensions listed in the Honda manuals. But they are always in mm (metric). How do you come up with the dimensions in "inches". Are you guys just calculating them?
It's habit I suppose. I just seem to visualise piston clearances in inches for some reason. The same reason I am only comfortable using metric specs for valve clearances.
Weird, huh?
Thanks for chiming in lads....I'll be on the phone with the machinst in the morning.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

The sandblasting went well. The best part? The pressure wash booth. Feature a heated/soapy liquid...the parts were spotless :D
A little time to mask stuff off, and I got the paint shot this afternoon!
Last edited by bikeymikey748 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Wherever Aris is right now, he is happier than if he were reading this thread. :o :o :o :o

Mike, I dearly hope you got all the blast media out. What did you use?

And do my eyes deceive me or is that engine a sort-of graphite grey? CBXers worldwide are reaching for their nitroglycerin pills :-). I on the other hand am rapt...

:text-coolphotos:

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Nils:
You took every word right out of my mouth!

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

The gray paint looks great, Mike.
I have an engine in a similar "antique pewter" i think it was called.
Nice to have friends with equipment to borrow.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Wherever Aris is right now, he is happier than if he were reading this thread.

Mike, I dearly hope you got all the blast media out. What did you use?

And do my eyes deceive me or is that engine a sort-of graphite grey? CBXers worldwide are reaching for their nitroglycerin pills . I on the other hand am rapt...
Nils, I get stressed whenever I blast any engine part. And, after reading Aris's, soul-crushing account, of his misfortunes, I was doubly stressed.
But, you had to see the shop where I did it, so well set up. After blasting, it was an, involved, process of using compressed air to blow off as much residue as possible. After that, the masking tape and plugs were removed. Then, a good, long, trip to the pressure washer booth. And, finally, a rinse with a jet of hot water. We, visually, inspected all the oil galleries afterwards....MINTY!!. There was no trace of abrasives when trying to run in any fastener/threaded plug afterwards. Confidance is high. Though....'Confidance is high' has bit me on the ass many times before :shock:
But...
And, apart from the high-pressure aluminum oxide booth, I had axcess to a low-pressure glass bead booth. I wasn't going to paint the sump pan so I passed it through both booths ( glass bead last). What do you think of the finish?

Last edited by bikeymikey748 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Project Threads”