Bikini Fairing fabrication

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Bikini Fairing fabrication

Post by wyly »

I find it annoying when I paint my bikes and then invariably they get scratched at some point. Every time I climb on I'd see those scratches. Scratches combined with broken pegs on plastic panels, there had to be a better way. Then I came across some vintage bikes on Instagram with bare aluminum fairings and bodywork, no paint, scratches can be buffed out and panels can secured with bolts/pins/fasteners.
I asked a friend who was an aviation metal fabricator how difficult it was, "There's a learning curve but you can do it. And I have an English Wheel and sheet metal Brake I can lend you." I had no idea what I was getting my self into :lol: .

I'm halfway through my fabrication of my new body work for my GSX and about to begin on the fairing which is a major challenge so I thought I better get some practise on something smaller, replacing the acrylic bikini fairing on the CBX. Using the old fairing as a template I drew out what I wanted on some scrap from my GSX project. I wanted to completely wrap around the headlight but if I failed I was prepared to cut it back to match the template. I'm also considering swapping the CBX headlight for a 8" GSX headlight so the opening would need to fit both sizes.

https://www.cbxclub.com/forum/download/ ... 632df247a6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wyly on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Bikini Fairing fabrication

Post by wyly »

When you don't have the proper tools or metal fabrication experience cutting a circle is a challenge, start small and work my way out to the approximate size.
IMG_2291.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

At this point I've bent it over my thigh for the approximate curve I want, refined that with the english wheel and began bringing in the tighter bottom radius with a shrinke, plastic mallet/beater bag and heel dollie.

IMG_2293.JPG

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

At this point I'm quite happy with the shape, it needed some more time on the english wheel to remove imperfections and tool marks.
IMG_2317.JPG

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Balanced on the headlight here it still needs to attached to the mounts. Once the mounting is done I'll polish it up to a mirror finish. Slightly larger than the fairing it replaces, just large enough to keep the wind off my torso and bugs of the gauges.
IMG_2345.JPG

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Admirable work. I wish I had that kind of skills.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Project Threads”