Somewhat modern 79 cbx

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Somewhat modern 79 cbx

Post by Salman_z8 »

CBXSUDBURY wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:25 am
Gas tank sold. Thank you for a smooth transaction to Salman_z8.

Yvon
82 CBXSudbury
Didnt even thank you Yvon, how rude of me.
Love the tank, its happily hanging on my wall for now.

Very smooth transaction, thank you for giving the new guy a chance
One day, i’ll have em all finished.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

I think i am leaning towards using the gsxr 1100 swing arm as well, since i have the complete rear end. But instead of mono shock, i’d like to keep twin shocks i think.
For a braced swing arm, not sure how i am gona keep it all pretty.
Any ideas for lower shock mounts ?
Frame will be braced regardless.
Though i do wana ideally use the zx10 shock i have, had it for years, and with the gsxr 1100 linkage it sits well.

But i am gona go ahead and fit the swing arm for now.

Have now acquired a starter motor, set of rings, the missing tensioner, and a spare head. ( though i might still do the guides on my original head )

Have a set of stock headers now, i want to run modern slip ons mated to those. No particular reason, just wana keep twin exhausts, and this might work. Not expecting any performance gains.

Also have the missing cut of tail section, which will soon be rewelded back on, and i will run the stock seat and cowl.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Salman_z8 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:15 am
Have been kind of away from the cbx build in the recent months. Work has been all over the place, thanks to covid-19.

Did have some opportunity to set up a sort of commercial motorcycle service setup on the side, for pre 1980 bikes, which seems to be moving along, and has kept me busy in the recent months. Along the way, have made a machinist friend, so now i might be able to move things along, atleast whatever i can.
Also working on my rd400, so this is kind of a back burber thing for now, but i dont leave things incomplete for long.

But heres a question, does anyone has the measurements for the spacers that go between the engine and the frame on the rear left side mounts ? Or if someone can measure theirs ?
Please and thank you.
Need the length only. Cases are heavy, and i have no space, to mount and measure.
Is it parts #9 and #10 you are looking for the sizes?
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... oil-cooler

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Salman_z8 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:34 am
I think i am leaning towards using the gsxr 1100 swing arm as well, since i have the complete rear end. But instead of mono shock, i’d like to keep twin shocks i think.
This is the approach that has the fewest variables and the greatest likelihood of working well.
Though i do wana ideally use the zx10 shock i have, had it for years, and with the gsxr 1100 linkage it sits well.
Throwing unrelated swingarm/linkage, shock, and frame from 3 different bikes might sit well, but the odds of it actually working well under dynamic loads are extremely low. For the swingarm and linkage to work right, you should be fabbing mounts on the frame that match the GSX-R1100 geometry. For the shock to work right, it should be dealing with the same geometry and weight as a zx10, which would be wildly different from a CBX with a GSX-R1100 rear.

A CBX is not a cheap bike even before you get into custom fab work - I don't understand trying to build it around a so-so $150 used shock.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:53 am
Salman_z8 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:15 am
Have been kind of away from the cbx build in the recent months. Work has been all over the place, thanks to covid-19.

Did have some opportunity to set up a sort of commercial motorcycle service setup on the side, for pre 1980 bikes, which seems to be moving along, and has kept me busy in the recent months. Along the way, have made a machinist friend, so now i might be able to move things along, atleast whatever i can.
Also working on my rd400, so this is kind of a back burber thing for now, but i dont leave things incomplete for long.

But heres a question, does anyone has the measurements for the spacers that go between the engine and the frame on the rear left side mounts ? Or if someone can measure theirs ?
Please and thank you.
Need the length only. Cases are heavy, and i have no space, to mount and measure.
Is it parts #9 and #10 you are looking for the sizes?
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... oil-cooler
Yes sir, thats exactly what i am looking for

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

Syscrush wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:11 am
Salman_z8 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:34 am
This is the approach that has the fewest variables and the greatest likelihood of working well.
Throwing unrelated swingarm/linkage, shock, and frame from 3 different bikes might sit well, but the odds of it actually working well under dynamic loads are extremely low. For the swingarm and linkage to work right, you should be fabbing mounts on the frame that match the GSX-R1100 geometry. For the shock to work right, it should be dealing with the same geometry and weight as a zx10, which would be wildly different from a CBX with a GSX-R1100 rear.

A CBX is not a cheap bike even before you get into custom fab work - I don't understand trying to build it around a so-so $150 used shock.
I 100% agree with you, and believe me i know what you are saying.
Using that shock isnt really about saving money, its just one of those things that i might spend more $$$ to incorporate than its worth it. Its silly, i know.
I have done plenty restorations, but not much high performance suspension stuff.
If all else fails, i might just put on a couple shock mounts and use the twin setup. But then i dont want to have that long a wheel base.
But frankly i havnt touched the cbx in a while.
I am the kinda person who plans, but is driven by rationality.
Me wanting to put the zx10 shock, and actually using it, two different things at the moment. I am weird that way.
I will show you why i went the route i am going, i am pretty sure it will be a twin setup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Salman_z8 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

I am wanting to finish this, and then back to cbx.
I dont abandon projects in the middle, so this cbx will be completed in the not so distant future
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

There are a lot of nice details on that twin shock bike for sure. The way that the oil cooler mount extends from those custom engine mounts is especially spiffy. I take it that bike is an inspiration for your project?

That 750 you're working on should be gorgeous. I really think that the SOHC4 Hondas are an all-time top 5 for most beautiful motor (alongside the CBX, bevel-drive Ducati, Vincent twin, and something else I suppose). Looking forward to seeing more as you complete that project.

The point of my earlier post was just to say that rear suspension geometry is a bit tricky, especially with a monoshock setup with a linkage. The swingarm length, pivot point, shock mount, linkage mounts, bike weight, spring rate, and damping all have to be designed to work together for it to work well. Either engage a professional chassis engineer, match the OEM geometry of a similar bike, or read a bunch of Tony Foale books and buy his software to figure it all out for yourself.

You can get great performance out of a twin shock setup if you manage the geometry correctly and buy good shocks and dial them in right. I'd suggest going that way just because it has fewer variables. If you want to go monoshock, then I would strongly recommend ditching the used shock and instead design a suspension that behaves how you want it to, and then buy a good custom shock that's sprung and valved to work with your design.

Just to toss out some numbers here: $1000 spent on a good twin shock setup will work better than $3000 spent on a custom monoshock with a used OEM shock meant for a different application.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

Syscrush wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:32 pm
There are a lot of nice details on that twin shock bike for sure. The way that the oil cooler mount extends from those custom engine mounts is especially spiffy. I take it that bike is an inspiration for your project?

That 750 you're working on should be gorgeous. I really think that the SOHC4 Hondas are an all-time top 5 for most beautiful motor (alongside the CBX, bevel-drive Ducati, Vincent twin, and something else I suppose). Looking forward to seeing more as you complete that project.

The point of my earlier post was just to say that rear suspension geometry is a bit tricky, especially with a monoshock setup with a linkage. The swingarm length, pivot point, shock mount, linkage mounts, bike weight, spring rate, and damping all have to be designed to work together for it to work well. Either engage a professional chassis engineer, match the OEM geometry of a similar bike, or read a bunch of Tony Foale books and buy his software to figure it all out for yourself.

You can get great performance out of a twin shock setup if you manage the geometry correctly and buy good shocks and dial them in right. I'd suggest going that way just because it has fewer variables. If you want to go monoshock, then I would strongly recommend ditching the used shock and instead design a suspension that behaves how you want it to, and then buy a good custom shock that's sprung and valved to work with your design.

Just to toss out some numbers here: $1000 spent on a good twin shock setup will work better than $3000 spent on a custom monoshock with a used OEM shock meant for a different application.
That sure is the inspiration.
I am trying to come close. Have no idea who built that bike or when. Can someone identify those shocks ? Or that bike ?
I really like the clean yet modern look of that bike.

I guess, realistically, if i can get the swing arm shortened a little and twinN shock mounts put on, then i should be close to where i want to be.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

If you want to go monoshock, have a look at what bikeymikey did on his bike. He fit a modern GSX-R swinger to a Pro-Link bike, and it looks amazing.

If you decide to stick with twin shock, another option vs. modifying your current swinger is to get one from these guys:

https://tracdynamics.com/

It has a nice, modern, beefy look and is available in a variety of finishes. Mine almost bolted right in (it required opening the 14mm pivot bolt holes on my '79 frame for the 16mm pivot bolt). I don't know how big of a wheel/tire you could fit in there, though. If you want a wide 17" rear wheel, going with an OEM swinger from another bike is probably best.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:07 am
If you want to go monoshock, have a look at what bikeymikey did on his bike. He fit a modern GSX-R swinger to a Pro-Link bike, and it looks amazing.

If you decide to stick with twin shock, another option vs. modifying your current swinger is to get one from these guys:

It has a nice, modern, beefy look and is available in a variety of finishes. Mine almost bolted right in (it required opening the 14mm pivot bolt holes on my '79 frame for the 16mm pivot bolt). I don't know how big of a wheel/tire you could fit in there, though. If you want a wide 17" rear wheel, going with an OEM swinger from another bike is probably best.
a swingarm option I had considered was a Calfab, now owned by http://www.motogpwerks.com
out of my price range however, my "free" GSX1100 swingarm does the job nicely
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

Can someone identify the rear shocks in the pic i posted above.
Please and thank you. I am curious.
Or the bike, if you know something about the build.

Thanks

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

wyly wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:05 pm
Syscrush wrote:

a swingarm option I had considered was a Calfab, now owned by http://www.motogpwerks.com
out of my price range however, my "free" GSX1100 swingarm does the job nicely
Thanks wyly, probable outa my price range as well.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

Syscrush wrote:

Thanks phil. Nothing over 180, and 17 inch rim.
Twin shocks is the way i am planning forward

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Salman_z8 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:06 am
Can someone identify the rear shocks in the pic i posted above.
Please and thank you. I am curious.
Or the bike, if you know something about the build.
I did my best to work my meagre Google skills but came up empty. All I could find was a bunch of Pinterest pins of that same image - no info on the build generally or the shocks specificially.

You might have better luck posting just that image in the General Discussion section in its own thread.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Project Threads”