Time for Another

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Time for Another

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Saw this today on the cb1100f site, (Fee) is the member selling these parts.

I have a complete set of carbs with new in the box rebuild kits, valve cover, aftermarket cam/crank end cover,front discs and calipers. alternator that needs rebuilding ( all new parts are there ) oil cooler ,headlight, shocks ( apart ) raask rearsets and a BIG hannigan fairing, some gaskets, handlebars ( low but maybe for a 81/82 ) headlight cover for 81,82 ... all for CBX
A set of OMT pipes with a hole in them , maybe be saved for the CBX

I'm assuming it's a cbx headlight.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thanks Jeff, I joined the sight but have yet to receive privileges to sign on.

Got the frame to the powder coater today. I really vacillated over sandblasting and spray painting the frame over powder coating. Personally I like a nice spray painted frame over powder coat; it was just easier to leave the frame with the coater than run it out to a sand blaster then hand sand the frame, prime it and spray it. Haven't found a sandblaster here in Albuquerque with media gentle enough to remove the paint without pitting the metal.

I'll post up some pics when it is back from the coater.

Cool on the sport kit brake linkage, another lucky find!
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You have a PM.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Back on Task at last. Found a pair of Boomerang wheels that I had bought from Steve (Thanks Mucho Steve). They had been in storage for a while since I bought them. Picked them up and thought they should be powder coated but to be honest I had yet to see a set of wheels powder coated that I really liked at least not by the companies here in Albuquerque. Turned to and after four hours the rear wheel was clean and mounted in the swing arm.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Rebuilt the front and rear master cylinders today and mounted those to the bike. The rear master reservoir line is NLA and the original was dust. Found some line and then found some expanded wire loom and threaded that over the hose and secured the loom ends with shrink wrap then found some nice spring clamps (Koolant) and put the hose on. It's not a correct replacement but it looks good.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

If those are the wheels you got from me, i want them back! haha.
I know there are a couple versions of Cal-Fab decals but i prefer the looks of this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAL-FAB-allo ... SwHoFXtESH

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I had 11F gold Comstars in my 79 and did not like the handling much. They were 18F/17R. I also ran 11R gold boomies 18F/18R and they were a tad nicer, but the bike was still tippy in slow turns. Finally went back to a 19F/18R setup with period 5-spoke PVM mag wheels. Much better.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Beautiful work Mr. V.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Work in progress Phil!

When Phil sold me Tom Whaley's CBX he also brought along boxes of parts. Guess Phil is like me and can't throw anything motorcycle related out :laughing-rollingyellow: so I benefited with finding a place to store the questionable parts; I say questionable because I had no idea what they came from.

Off to storage and rummaged through those boxes of brakes and calipers; managed to find Left and Right hangers that fit the prolink forks, then found front and rear disc and finally rear caliper, right and left calipers; all in sad shape but possible to revive.
This is the rear set up, bolted in loosely it looks like this set up will work.
The right front.
The left front.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Excellent choice - 900F (and others) front rotors!

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I rescued my twin pots and rotors from a 750, cheap easy upgrade, much better braking...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Sorry Steve, you can't have those boomers back :laughing-lettersrofl: They look pretty good after a good scrubbing. Will be sending the disc off to have them machined; not sure if ill have them drilled though. Made a rookie mistake and mixed up the front twin pots, the left has the 35 mm pistons and the right the 27 mm, the rear is correct. Sourced another right caliper of correct size.
Received the 82 front wheel spacer so everything lines up correctly. Hammered out a twisted and bent up tail light bracket and restored the tail light assembly. Overall it's close to being a rolling frame now.
Continue to experiment with restoring as many of the original parts as I can. If I were in business this couldn't be, just no profit with the man hours it takes to restore a beat up piece.
This is the tail light and it is rough
Once again the HF glass beader came in handy, used fine glass beads with 50 psig and this seems to clean off the UV damage without texturizing the plastic, this followed with a good coat and buffing of Blue Ice.
This is after glass beading
Assembled and mounted with some minor tweaking for aesthetic balance

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Been a while since I posted. Finally massaged on a set of tires and now she is a roller!

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Occasionally I get to putter around in Nils shop. On one of these putzing sessions we went to a storage shed for something, I don't remember what but I saw this pitiful little CB350Four. I guess Nils noticed me studying it and he asked me if I wanted it, well say no more!

As with the CBX the first thing was to pull the carbs and rebuild them. The bike had sat with old fuel for 11 years and the carbs were much like what one would expect of CBX carbs that had sat for so long.

Bolted the carbs up and the old girl started on the first kick! The engine is solid and ran fine, no smoking no untoward noises so the bike is currently striped to every nut and bolt. Most of those are being zinc coated, some replaced with new. Wheels are broken down for rebuild, new spokes and maybe rims unless the rust spots can be worked out. Engine degreased of baked on oil and dirt, soda blasted and painted.

Hope to have this one done by Christmas so it can have a big red bow for my sweetie. When I towed it home Paula jumped on it and declared it hers hence the effort to complete it and the reason the CBX is on the back burner. Which was a good thing since I have been talked into making it a bike for track days at the local raceway. No CBX has turned up there and it would be neat to hear one running around the track with a set of Denco 6/6 pipes.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Looked to be a good starting point for a resto.
Original except for pipes?
You do nice work, Mike.

Return to “Project Threads”