Gear change on my 80

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Jandjinteriors
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Gear change on my 80

Post by Jandjinteriors »

Changing the rear sprocket from a 42 tooth to a 46 tooth. Only seem to ride in town so would like to get out of
2nd gear. Tried changing front sprocket to 16 tooth, that just causes all sorts of problems. Any feed back from
others would be appreciated. John

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Gear change on my 80

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, J.
Not quite sure what you are asking but you should be able to sort ANY rpm status you want with the sprocket combos available here.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

'Only seem to ride in town' - gearing is not your problem. Riding only in town is. These things do not tolerate stop-and-go traffic well and overheat quickly. You'll cook all the engine and carb rubber components very quickly and take the temper out of the piston rings as well. Get out of town!

Dave

Jandjinteriors
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jandjinteriors »

Thanks for reply. I was just curious if anyone has done sprocket changes to get a higher gearing. Have a constant
passenger, she doesn't care for the highways. Live in a hilly area, could use higher gearing.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I agree with Dave that this bike is not well suited to poking around in town, and he knows better than most of us here about the issues that may cause when coupled with lower gearing.

With that said, I agree that the stock gearing on the bike is a bit on the tall side, and you can wake it up a bit by adding some teeth to the rear. Going up 4 teeth you'd have some risk of interference with the stock chainguard, so have a close look at that.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Project Threads”