79 engine rebuild

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 engine rebuild

Post by wyly »

Three votes here as well as Dave and Phil in favour of paint...it looks like I’ll be painting...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

When I had my engine rebuilt, I assumed that would include painting everything. It didn't, and I was disappointed. From my perspective, you're making the right choice.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You'll be glad you did. Just mask off the square where the dates are stamped and have the cases soda blasted, along with the valve cover, alternator cover oil line cover, oil filter cover, etc. Not necessary to soda blast the block and head unless completely disassembled. Paint on them will be pretty thin anyway and they'll paint nicely with just a good cleaning. Some guys use a primer, I don't, Honda didn't. You'll need more paint than you think and get yourself one of those handy gadgets that attaches to the rattle can nozzle for easy spraying. Your finger will get pretty tired if you don't.

You need to carefully mask off what you don't want sprayed - it will take longer by far to prep than to paint. But do the whole engine - it will look odd if you don't.

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

daves79x wrote:get yourself one of those handy gadgets that attaches to the rattle can nozzle for easy spraying. Your finger will get pretty tired if you don't.
On the off chance you don't know what Dave's talking about - you can get 'em at Canadian Tire.

I bought one on a lark a long time ago thinking it would be a cheap piece of crap that would fall apart before I got through one can, but it surprised me and worked really well.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Go sparingly on the paint. Less is more when painting something like an engine. You can end up with it looking like mine with its paint filled crevis's ( :? ) and peeling under side.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

found the correct paint and picked up cases today should have them cleaned and painted this week coming up...the head I found on e-bay via S Carolina cleaned up nicely...just painting and a couple essential parts drifting around in the Postal system preventing final reassembly.

pistons coated with Teflon...blue matches my tank paint... not that I'll ever see them again...

Engine bearings showed no damage from the implosion but mechanic said I should think about a new oil cooler as tiny particles can lodge in the oil lines and cooler...he says flushing the lines/cooler doesn't always dislodge particles that may have entered the system... :?
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

masking done!...that was tedious :shock: !!!

a good soda blast wasn't in the budget so I went primitive..brake cleaner, methyl hydrate, pine sol , tooth brush, chop stick, dental pick, Popsicle stick, scotch pads...at -29c even with a heater in the garage I need to wait until tomorrow for the temps to reach an acceptable level for paint, in the meantime I'll keep cleaning...

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Warm up your parts with a heat gun before painting.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

FalldownPhil wrote:Warm up your parts with a heat gun before painting.
Best,
Phil
good idea Phil thanks...I'll keep the parts warm in the house until just before paint, blow off the dust then wash them one more time and then dry/warm with a hair dryer or carefully with a heat gun...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

garage warmed enough to paint the easier pieces which I then brought inside to dry...turned out well I think....tomorrow the cases...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Looks great! I think you'll be very happy.

Dave

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Looks great from here !!
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Looks tasty on the inside and out!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Looks really good! What paint did you use?

Paul.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

jnnngs wrote:Looks really good! What paint did you use?

Paul.
Dupli Color BGM0535
I'm very pleased with the excellent colour match...in some areas where the oem paint was still in good condition I couldn't detect a noticeable difference in colour ...

I bought too much paint, 6 cans and so far I've used just over a half can with only the engine cases left to do...I think I can paint the entire engine with two cans and keep one extra for touch ups at a later date...

Return to “Project Threads”