1979 CBX Restomod

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Z3n
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 1979 CBX Restomod

Post by Z3n »

wyly wrote:wow :shock: impressive amount of work accomplished in only 6 months ...

the guy who re-built my engine needed 11months...
It's been sitting for awhile but I was finally ready to start getting this done :)
Jeff Bennetts wrote:Looks great so far Z, what are you doing for shock spacers and do you mean something to get the top shock mounts outboard more to be parallel with the swingarm shock mounts?
The zx6r swingarm is much narrower than the zrx swingarm, and doesn't have the forward brace, so it doesn't need any cutting. It almost lines up perfectly although I'll need to fine tune chain run a bit, I think. The shocks are almost straight but there might be some fine tuning, I just had the existing setup welded up because it was going to be close enough on the first pass.
steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:A couple questions on this latest step on your build.
What jetting did you settle on for the pods?
If the swingarm spacers were for proper frame clearance , can you provide some dimensions?
And wtf is the "official colour of lazy masculinity"? haha.
Carbs were set up by jack at old school carbs, I'll need to talk to him about jetting with the bore kit in it.
I can definitely provide spacer dimensions, no problem - will want to measure off the final parts though.
The color of lazy masculinity is flat black, of course. :D

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Z3n wrote:
Jeff Bennetts wrote:Looks great so far Z, what are you doing for shock spacers and do you mean something to get the top shock mounts outboard more to be parallel with the swingarm shock mounts?
The zx6r swingarm is much narrower than the zrx swingarm, and doesn't have the forward brace, so it doesn't need any cutting. It almost lines up perfectly although I'll need to fine tune chain run a bit, I think. The shocks are almost straight but there might be some fine tuning, I just had the existing setup welded up because it was going to be close enough on the first pass.
That makes more sense, the swingarm being much narrower than the ZRX, I had to bring the top shock mount on the frame outboard about 3/4 inches on each side to be parallel and equal distance to the swingarm mounts, the more narrow zx6 yet wider than a stock CBX swingarm can certainly save someone a lot of work.

Are you going to have it done and ready to ride for the Rally in June? :handgestures-fingerscrossed: A lot of people sure would enjoy and appreciate your hard work!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not to belabor the point, but it's not the bore kit, but the pods you need to jet for. Just making sure Jack knew about the pods when he did the rebuild.

Dave

Z3n
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Z3n »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:That makes more sense, the swingarm being much narrower than the ZRX, I had to bring the top shock mount on the frame outboard about 3/4 inches on each side to be parallel and equal distance to the swingarm mounts, the more narrow zx6 yet wider than a stock CBX swingarm can certainly save someone a lot of work.

Are you going to have it done and ready to ride for the Rally in June? :handgestures-fingerscrossed: A lot of people sure would enjoy and appreciate your hard work!
It's about 2700 miles out there, and while I'm pretty confident (having never ridden the bike, haha) that'd it'd ride out there no problem, I'm not sure the owner or I would be able to get the time off work, sadly.

The swingarm is also slightly too long - I'm going to have to space out the fender so it doesn't hit the wheel at full compression.
daves79x wrote:Not to belabor the point, but it's not the bore kit, but the pods you need to jet for. Just making sure Jack knew about the pods when he did the rebuild.

Dave
Yes, he did know - thanks for double checking, burning out a piston would be a pity.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Z3n wrote:
Jeff Bennetts wrote:That makes more sense, the swingarm being much narrower than the ZRX, I had to bring the top shock mount on the frame outboard about 3/4 inches on each side to be parallel and equal distance to the swingarm mounts, the more narrow zx6 yet wider than a stock CBX swingarm can certainly save someone a lot of work.

It's about 2700 miles out there, and while I'm pretty confident (having never ridden the bike, haha) that'd it'd ride out there no problem, I'm not sure the owner or I would be able to get the time off work, sadly.

The swingarm is also slightly too long - I'm going to have to space out the fender so it doesn't hit the wheel at full compression.
Well I certainly understand maybe you can make it to a rally in the late summer or fall closer to you and represent a Nice CBX for everyone to enjoy and admire.

Agian that makes sense too, I can see the zx6 swingarm needing to be longer since it's not as wide to still fit a decent size rear wheel in there, it will handle different but that's all in your build anyway, just be careful shaking it down, maybe you should shake it down before you paint it. :lol:

Z3n
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Z3n »

Why hello again everyone, been awhile.

Since then, I've moved up north, the CBX got running, and had about 3,000 miles put on it, including a few trackdays. I got a functional trailtech Voyager unit, Magura hydraulic clutch conversion (the OEM one was a bear), as well as a couple of other mods.

The geometry was slightly off, but not enough to slow us down too much. The real issue is we discovered that it was still burning a bit more oil than I expected after break in and heat cycling, and there were some persistent oil leaks. After pulling the bike apart, I discovered that my compression numbers were ~175/125/170/175/185/180. Unfortunately, I noticed that one of the rings was different, although it still spec'd out okay, and I think I ended up with a bad oil control ring on the #2 cylinder. Because it is running an Ontario big bore kit, I think I'm going to need to ship the whole head + #2 piston off to someone to have custom rings made for it. Frustrating, because without that one thing it would have just been chasing down the oil issues. I've reached out to Brent Hyde in the hope that I can get a set of the manual cam chain tensioners, as the ones that are in there are in pretty rough shape. I could do my own designs, but time is tough to come by.

Obligatory photo: Image

I've had a few other fun projects in the meantime - aircooled ducati in a superbike frame:
In action:

Titanium exhaust assembly for my Duke 890 Trackbike:
In action with the previous exhaust:
Some mods to my 890 Adventure R:

Electric dirtbike with a 6 speed transmission / clutch:

Custom light assembly for friend's 790:
Building a 350 rally bike for the COTAH rally:

GasGas with a motor swap and custom carbon frame spars for endurance minimoto racing:

But back to the CBX:
Plans are - Tear down the motor, get proper rings made for the #2 cylinder, clean everything up once again (sorry Nils, if you see this, your gorgeous vapor blasting work got filthy, sigh), reinstall the heads with the fresh rings, upgraded cam chain tensioners, check / adjust the valves, drop the motor back into the frame. Probably ride it for a bit, then tear it down again to redo 100% of the electrical, fix the gauges, paint, powdercoat, custom triples to bring the geometry back to a more ideal range. I'll build a custom 6 into 6 for it, and I have access to a dyno now, so will be able to hopefully really dial in the fueling. I've been doing a good amount of experimentation with exhaust and header design, as well as reverse engineering the KTM 890 ECUs, so that + work has been filling a lot of my time but hey, given the state of the world, lucky to be doing all of the above.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season :)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

GREAT to see you again, and all is forgiven - it was a great pleasure to work with you on that bike.

Keep going!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Z3n
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Z3n »

I've got the CCTs on order, so this is going back on the menu!

Nils, good to see you posting - hope all has been going well with you. Your '80 looks incredible, such wonderful work!

I've picked up an 93 Ford 4x4 box truck, so that's also on the list as my moto / trackday / adventure transporter, but it's about time to start working on the CBX again...

Return to “Project Threads”